10.0485 conferences

WILLARD MCCARTY (willard.mccarty@kcl.ac.uk)
Mon, 2 Dec 1996 22:57:00 +0000 (GMT)

[1] From: lbeltran@servidor.unam.mx (87)
From: DARWIN@iris.uncg.edu
Subject: Conference on logical reasoning (fwd)

[3] From: Pamela Cohen <pac@rci.rutgers.edu> (114)
Subject: counter-disciplinary conference

[4] From: Yorick Wilks <yorick@dcs.shef.ac.uk> (93)
Subject: 1st International Workshop on Human-Computer
Conversation--2nd posting

--[1]----------------------------------------------------------------
Date: Thu, 28 Nov 1996 20:23:22 -0600
From: lbeltran@servidor.unam.mx

[Unfortunately I received the following in a rather poor state; my attempt
to repair it may have obscured important parts of an address or two.
Apologies if anyone or anything is misled. --WM]

International Meeting
Logic and Mathematical Reasoning
Mexico City, September 30th - October 2nd, 1997

Organized by
Departamento de Matematicas de la Univ. Nac. Autonoma de Mexico (Mexico)
Departamento de Filosofia de la Univ. Autonoma Metropolitana (Mexico)
Centre Francois Viete dHistoire et de Philosophie des Sciences, Univ. de
Nantes (France) Department of Mathematical Sciences, George Mason
University, Fairfax, Virginia (USA)

Scientific Committee
Carlos Alvarez (UNAM), Jean Dhombres (C. F. Viete), Marco Panza
Daniele C. Struppa (G. Mason Univ.), Guillermo Zambrana (UAM)

Our meeting will be dealing with the following general question:

What makes of a reasoning a mathematical reasoning?

This question might be formulated in one of the two following ways:
1) As a normative question. It would be then necessary to provide
an answer, stating how a reasoning should be in order to be classified
as mathematical.
2) As a historical question. The answer should then be given by stating
the particular attributes of mathematical reasoning as they
occur in history.

A closer look at these two approaches seems to show that neither one is
completely satisfactory. The first is based on the assumption that
mathematical reasoning should satisfy certain conditions that finally
appear as completely arbitrary. The second one requires that we should
trust history as being able to provide by itself the object of our
reflection. It is our belief that the two approaches should work together:
the object of the epistemological research on the nature of mathematical
reasoning comes out along with this same research through the possibility
of finding an intrinsic characteristic which is common to all ways of
reasoning displayed in texts and books considered as mathematical. This is
why we think that no philosophy of mathematics is possible if it is
conceived independently of the history of mathematics, and, in the same
vein, no history is possible without philosophy.

Therefore, the problem we address is how to recognize an intrinsic
characteristic which is common to those ways of reasoning occurring in
mathematical literature. It seems to us that this characteristic can be
expressed as a logical structure, even if the term logic used here has to
be embedded into a broader sense and refered not only to meaning it has in
formal modern logic.

Above all, our concern is not history of logic, nor history of the
formalization of mathematical reasoning. Rather we want to study the forms
of certain arguments, inferences, or discourse recognized as mathematical
and investigate their differences or similarities.

Participation in this meeting is open to every scholar who wishes
to give a 40 minutes talk. Please send a one page abstract before April
30, 1997, with the included Registration Form. The acceptance of the
manuscript will be decided by the scientific committee within a month
after reception of the abstract.

The abstract and the registration form should be sent to one of
the following addresses:
- Carlos Alvarez, Departamento de Matematicas, Fac. Ciencias, UNAM. Mexico
D.F., c.p. 04510 M=E9xico; e-mail alvarji@servidor.unam.mx
- Marco Panza, Centre F. Viete, Univ. Nantes, Fac. des Sciences, 2 rue
de la Houssiniere, 44072 Nantes 03, France; e-mail =
panza@unantes.univ-nantes.fr

It is possible to send a one sheet abstract, together with the
following information:

Name, Institution, Adress (including electronic adress) to the
conference adress: logical@hardy.fciencias.unam.mx

It is also possible to connect to the meeting home page at
http://hardy.fciencias.unam.mx:80/logical and submit the abstract and the
registration form by using the relative links

Admission fee is fixed at $50.00 U.S. ($15.00 US for students).
This fee should be paid in Mexico City just before the conference.

The meeting will take place in Mexico City. Participants may lodge
in one of the several hotels in the city with prices ranging between
$30.00 and $70.00 US A list of hotels close to the meeting center
will be sent with the acceptance of the talk. The organizing committee
will be in charge of reservations. It is possible to eat in Mexico City
at a good restaurant, prices range between $15.00-25.00 US

At the present moment, confirmed speakers for plenary lectures are:

Jean Dhombres (Universite de Nantes)
Solomon Feferman (Stanford University)
Michel Otte (University of Bielefeld)
Hourya Sinaceur (CNRS Paris)
Jean Michel Salanskis (Universite de Lille)
Daniele Struppa (Georg Mason University)