10.0067 academy survives by hiding, by explaining

Humanist (mccarty@phoenix.Princeton.EDU)
Tue, 28 May 1996 20:56:46 -0400 (EDT)

[1] From: Mark Steinacher <steinach@chass.utoronto.ca> (17)
Subject: Re: 10.0060 the academy and the world

[2] From: Richard Giordano <rich@cs.man.ac.uk> (9)

Date: Tue, 28 May 1996 01:15:29 -0400 (EDT)
From: Mark Steinacher <steinach@chass.utoronto.ca>

Friends,
Mark Engel's comments to the effect that the liberal arts
community's best survival strategy is to make like my children's
chameleons and blend into the background may well be the best advice
we get. As an historian, I often have people wondering while I don't
do something more "useful". One colleague even expressed surprise
when I went into church history, rather than New Testament, because,
and I quote: "You're SMART ENOUGH to do New Testament!"
Engel's comments also bring to mind a cartoon my brother clipped
for me years ago. In it were three men sitting at a bar. The little
man in the middle was explaining to the two burly, heavily-tattoed,
biker-gang-types parked either side of him that, "Well, actually, I
get paid to stare off into space and think." They looked ready to
beat him to a pulp. Is the average non-academic not feeling somewhat
the same urges toward the "non-productive" academic community (read:
the liberal arts)?

Mark Steinacher
steinach@chass.utoronto.ca