10.038 annual reviews; mad humanist

Humanist (mccarty@phoenix.Princeton.EDU)
Mon, 20 May 1996 22:33:19 -0400 (EDT)

[1] From: Glenn Everett <aaff@UTM.Edu> (18)
Subject: Re: html-ized annual reviews

[2] From: Russon Wooldridge <wulfric@chass.utoronto.ca> (10)
Subject: Re: 10.17 conference on mad science (IVCMS'96)

Date: Fri, 17 May 1996 11:51:05 -0500
From: Glenn Everett <aaff@UTM.Edu>

Paul Brians wrote, in answer to my question, 'Why would HTML "materially
increase the labor for the person being reviewed"?'

>I don't know about you, but I'm pretty fluent in html and use various
>translation tools but it still takes me time to translate documents from
>Microsoft Word format to html. For someone less experienced it could be a
>truly daunting chore. I look forward to Microsoft Assistant for the Mac
>(the only thing that might persuade me to upgrade to Word 6.0).

I have some reluctance to extend this discussion of a minor point further,
but perhaps some clarification is warranted. If the sole purpose is to make
the text of the review documents available on the 'net, ASCII versions of
word-processed files can be posted either to a gopher or web site. True,
special fonts will be lost, but the text and the basic formatting can be
preserved. But perhaps plain ASCII files are not satisfactory.

Glenn Everett
Academic Affairs Faculty Fellow
University of Tennessee at Martin
aaff@utm.edu