10.8 impermanence

Humanist (mccarty@phoenix.Princeton.EDU)
Wed, 8 May 1996 18:44:49 -0400 (EDT)

[1] From: "Peter Graham, RUL" <psgraham@gandalf.rutgers.edu> (23)
Subject: Re: 10.4 citing Web documents

[2] From: Marta Steele <Marta_Steele@Pupress.Princeton.Edu> (24)
Subject: transitory/permanent

Date: Tue, 7 May 96 23:10:16 EDT
From: "Peter Graham, RUL" <psgraham@gandalf.rutgers.edu>

With all respect, I think Willard McCarty's musings on the value of
impermanent scholarship verge too much on trendiness to be helpful. By
which I mean he appears too easily to accept what presents itself as
the current reality; I think it's important to lead the parade in the right
direction rather than just join it.

Certainly electronic communication is not like print and we can't try to
apply all print models to it; but we can try to apply models or values that
we think are important. One of those values is the idea that something worth
saying is something worth keeping, which we have embedded in writing and
printing and other marking ("recording") techniques. There are techniques in
development that will allow us to keep what has been recorded electronically,
and I look forward to having them in our quiver. The fact that a quantity of
scholarship (and conversation in various media) is pretty disposable doesn't
warrant not trying to keep what is valuable. Baby and bathwater here.

(Certainly a lot of published material deserves ephemerality; in the
first place, how do we judge it any better than the publishers; and in
the second place, that's not an argument for ephemerizing it all.)

I think WMcC is absolutely right in citing the Stanford economist (very
possibly Ed Shaw--sounds like him) on the difficulty in changing the academic
culture by changing publishing patterns. Makes it all the more important to
try and to do it well. --pg

Peter Graham psgraham@gandalf.rutgers.edu Rutgers University Libraries
169 College Ave., New Brunswick, NJ 08903 (908)445-5908; fax (908)445-5888
<URL:http://aultnis.rutgers.edu/pghome.html>