9.767 citing URLs

Humanist (mccarty@phoenix.Princeton.EDU)
Sun, 5 May 1996 09:09:33 -0400 (EDT)

[1] From: Andrew Burday <andy@dep.philo.mcgill.ca> (88)
Subject: URLs outside html; citations; RFCs [was: Re: 9.759
quoting URLs]

[2] From: "Peter Graham, RUL" (143)
<psgraham@gandalf.rutgers.edu>
Subject: Was: Re: 9.759 quoting URLs--electronic bib. citation
forms.

Date: Thu, 2 May 1996 17:35:10 -0400 (EDT)
From: Andrew Burday <andy@dep.philo.mcgill.ca>
Subject: URLs outside html; citations; RFCs [was: Re: 9.759 quoting URLs]

I was pleasently surprised to see that my note on quoting URLs outside of
html documents has generated a little discussion. I wasn't sure it was
even worth posting when I sent it. I hope one more note will be helpful.

Unfortunately, the discussion I've seen (inluding private email to me)
seems to miss the point. Let me distinguish between three separate
issues:

(1) How to cite electronic sources in scholarly publications;
(2) How some particular software (e.g. Eudora) handles URLs;
(3) A standard for how URLs should be represented outside of html
(World Wide Web) documents.

(2) seems to me to be of little interest. Today Eudora does things one
way; tomorrow it may do them some other way. Eudora runs on some
platforms, but not on others. Some people use it, and some people don't.
I don't mean to pick on Eudora, which is a very nice program, but what we
need are standards that can apply consistently across platforms and
programs. The idea of the Internet is to communicate, and not just with
people who happen to be using your favorite software on your favorite
platform.

(3) is what I was trying to get at in my original note. Standards are not
just an issue for anal-retentive chipheads. Standards are what allow the
wide variety of enormously complex computer systems that make up the
Internet to work with each other.

(1) is also an important issue, and I thank Al Magary for pointing out
some sources that address it. However, it is not the issue I was trying
to address in my original note. The question there was: what is a
reliable way to indicate the presence of a URL in plain text documents
(especially electronic ones)? E-mail may mention a URL without needing to
provide a proper citation, and proper citations of electronic sources will
show up in paper documents; so these two issues cross-cut each other.

Incidentally, I am doubtful about the ultimate utility of citations based
on URLs. A URL is basically an instruction for retrieving a particular
object from the net. Giving a URL as a citation is like citing a book by
telling the reader where to find it in your local library, in the
following sense: if the book gets moved one shelf over, your citation will
no longer be of any use; and if one letter in the URL gets changed, it
will no longer be of any use either. (Yes, I realize there are all kinds
of other differences!) The information we give in standard citations
names a work and give some crucial information about it, but allows the
reader to figure out the best way to retrieve the work (go to the library,
go to the bookstore, call the publisher, borrow it from a friend,
whatever). We need a similar level of abstraction for e-texts.

A couple of further points:

On Sun, 28 Apr 1996, Humanist wrote:

> From: Al Magary <almagary@cris.com>
>
> This citation style originates with Tim Berners-Lee, at the CERN high-energy
> physics lab in Switzerland. He may someday bear the title Father of the

Berners-Lee is now at the WWW Consortium (see URL below), in Cambridge,
Mass. I don't know about titles, but he single-handedly invented the WWW.
Others added images, forms, tables, and much other good stuff, but they
were all building on Berners-Lee's work.

> Mesdemoiselles Li and Crane do *not* suggest text coloring
> or underlining/italicizing of URLs or other electronic addresses in
> citations. Their Web URL:

And well they shouldn't, if I understand you correctly. Colors,
underlines, bolds, highlights, italics, and such effects are entirely
platform-dependent. Lynx (a Unix text mode browser), using the curses
libraries, can easily display highlights, but it can't do italics at all.
Netscape, using the facilities provided by MS Windows, the Mac OS, or X
Windows, can easily do italics, but highlighting would be a pain. Again,
the point is to have a standard -- in this case, for scholarly citations
-- that does not depend on the properties of any particular hardware or
software platform.

> From: Willard McCarty <Willard.McCarty@utoronto.ca>
>
> In Humanist 9.753 Andrew Burday referred to the RFC (which stands for...?)

Sorry. An RFC is a "Request For Comments", part of the traditional method
for establishing Internet standards. If a need for a standard on some
issue is generally perceived, somebody with relevant expertise writes an
RFC. Based on the response from others in the field, it may be adopted as
a standard by the Internet Engineering Task Force, or it may be modified,
or dropped altogether. If that sounds like a rather informal system, it
is. It dates to the days when the Net was purely a research project for
computer scientists and engineers. Whether it will persist, given the
very different nature of the net today, is a question I don't know how to
answer.

The authoritative list of RFCs and other Internet documentation may be
found at:

<URL:http://ds.internic.net/ds/dspg0intdoc.html>

RFCs and other information related to the WWW may be found -- all over the
place! -- but the authoritative site, and the site run by people who are
more interested in establishing standards for communication than in
forcing the whole wide world to use their browser, is the WWW
Consortium, at:

<URL:http://www.w3.org/>

Best,

Andrew Burday