9.740 adaptive tech

Humanist (mccarty@phoenix.Princeton.EDU)
Fri, 19 Apr 1996 19:01:12 -0400 (EDT)

[1] From: John Slatin <jslatin@mail.utexas.edu> (51)
Subject: Re: 9.737 adaptive tech: Netscape font sizes

If you have a SoundBlaster 16 that comes with TextAssist software, you can
set it up to read selected text aloud (drag your mouse across text on the
page, or just hit Select All from the Edit menu if you want the whole
thing), then invoke TextReader; it's quite high q uality speech (Creative
Labs licensed the DECtalk speech algorithms, among the best in the
business). You needn't worry about graphics-- the software just ignores them.

Programs like JAWS and VocalEyes and outSpoken are designed to make GUIs
more or less accessible by providing speech output for menus and
navigational features as well as "content"; each has its limitations and
felicities.

There is supposed to be a new Web browser coming out designed specifically
for users who are visually impaired-- but I'm not sure whether they'll
really produce anything or not. Try http://www.prodworks.com for
information and to sign up for the beta testing program.

Other information about computing for people with (primiarily visual)
disabilities is available on my Web site at
http://www.cwrl.utexas.edu/~slatin/disability/disability.html

At 07:01 PM 4/17/96 -0400, Humanist wrote:
> Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 9, No. 737.
> Center for Electronic Texts in the Humanities (Princeton/Rutgers)
> Information at http://www.princeton.edu/~mccarty/humanist/
>
> [1] From: Al Magary <almagary@cris.com> (11)
> Subject: Re: 9.733 adaptive technologies for the Web
>

>Norm Coombs wrote:
>> Yes, a lot of blind people use lynx, but there is an increasing awareness
that
>> something better is needed. Some windows screen readers have worked well
with
>> netscape.
>
>Running on a Windows 95 system, my Netscape 2.01, under Options |
>Preferences | Fonts, allows a choice of different typefaces (apparently
>the ones Windows knows about) and typesizes from 8 to 72 pt. Perhaps
>this would work only with newsgroups and email.
>
>As it took me so long to set up Netscape with my current service
>provider, right now I'm reluctant to experiment with type sizes.
>
>Al Magary
>almagary@concentric.net

Professor John M. Slatin
Director, Computer Writing & Research Lab
Div. of Rhetoric and Composition and Dept. of English
University of Texas at Austin
Austin, TX 78712
jslatin@mail.utexas.edu http://www.cwrl.utexas.edu