9.729 reading from screen

Humanist (mccarty@phoenix.Princeton.EDU)
Mon, 15 Apr 1996 22:21:25 -0400 (EDT)

[1] From: Willard McCarty <mccarty@phoenix.princeton.edu> (21)
Subject: adaptive technology

[2] From: Joseph Wilson <jwilsona@ruf.rice.edu> (37)
Subject: Re: 9.723 reading from screen

Date: Sun, 14 Apr 1996 19:25:59 -0400
From: Willard McCarty <mccarty@phoenix.princeton.edu>

Chuck Taylor, in Humanist 9.724, reminds us that reading from screen has a
much wider significance when we consider applications of the computer to
help people with various kinds of physical impairment -- "adaptive
technologies", as they are called in these parts. Perhaps it would benefit
us all to understand the full range of these techologies (e.g. in addition,
text-to-speech and speech-to-text systems for the blind) and how well they
do their job. As Taylor suggests, considering these sheds a new light on the
significance of online publishing, which without the author or publisher can
reach equally well both those who read normally and those who do not.

Or can it? Web browsing obviously works for those who are legally blind yet
still sighted, but what about those using text-to-speech systems, for
example? Are the current set of graphical browsers capable of working with
these systems, or are there "plug-ins" to allow them to communication with
these systems? Do those who are blind commonly use lynx to browse the Web?

As the co-editor of an online publication series, I would be very interested
to hear from anyone with recommendations on how to provide Web documents
that work well with the adaptive technologies. The standard advice to use
the "ALT=" attribute in image tags becomes, I would guess, much more
compelling when we consider the entirety of our potential readership.

WM