9.724 reading from screen

Humanist (mccarty@phoenix.Princeton.EDU)
Sun, 14 Apr 1996 18:06:31 -0400 (EDT)

[1] From: Haradda@aol.com (18)

[2] From: CHUCK TAYLOR <ctaylor@desire.wright.edu> (17)
Subject: Re: 9.723 reading from screen

Date: Fri, 12 Apr 1996 23:11:48 -0400
From: Haradda@aol.com

I have been reading and collecting books since I was very young. I read
between 3 and 5 books every day and maybe 40 newspapers and magazines per
week. Reading is what I do for work and for fun. I spend 12 to 18 hours
every day looking at microfilm and computer screens from the public and
private computer systems I buy time on to do my job. I carry a laptop with
etexts on the hard drive or on floppies that I read in clients offices
while I am waiting to deliver my work and be paid or to read during
lunch. I carry books also to read when I have a spare minute. I have
never had a problem reading off a computer screen. It sure beats reading
hand-written records (which I still do only not as much) or reading
microfilms of hand-written records. I have had many people ask me how I
can stand to read off computer screens . For me the hardest to read is
little tiny black on white. I really like plain ascii etext that I can
read white on black. It is true that it is easier to read a book in bed
but I have read etext on my HP200 in bed without any more difficulty than
reading a paper book would be. And for me the best thing is that my wife
doesn't complain about all the books and microfilms I have gathering dust
and cluttering up our house. I am scanning them and putting them on Zip
Disks (100 megs). I hope to eventually put them on CD as I can afford it.