9.659 OCR software

Humanist (mccarty@phoenix.Princeton.EDU)
Thu, 28 Mar 1996 00:15:40 -0500 (EST)

[1] From: Wilhelm Ott <Wilhelm.Ott@zdv.uni-tuebingen.de> (24)
Subject: Re: 9.651 / OCR

[2] From: orlandi@rmcisadu.let.uniroma1.it (6)
Subject: Re: 9.655 OCR software

[3] From: EditorAnn@aol.com (8)
Subject: Re: 9.651 the state of OCR?

Date: Wed, 27 Mar 1996 09:24:38 +0100 (MEZ)
From: Wilhelm Ott <Wilhelm.Ott@zdv.uni-tuebingen.de>

At the Computing Center of the University of Tuebingen, we provide
OCR service based on four different systems:
Omnipage Pro 6.0
Textbridge 3.02
ScanWorx
Optopus
The first choice of our users is Omnipage Pro for "normal" OCR tasks.
Textbridge is used less frequently; clear advantages over Omnipage Pro
have not been reported to us.
For documents with less good print quality, we have made the experience
that ScanWorx normally yields better results.
The old (we still use the pre-Windows version) Optopus system is still
in use for texts with non-latin fonts.

In 9.655, Jean Anderson asked "what happened to Optopus".
Optopus (manufactured by Makrolog, von-Leyden-Strasse 46,
D-65191 Wiesbaden) is still available for Windows 3.x; presently
they are trying to adapt it for Windows 95 (there, the scanner drivers
seem to provide some problems). For further information, you may
check http://www.makrolog.com

Prof. Dr. Wilhelm Ott phone: +49-7071-292933
Universitaet Tuebingen fax: +49-7071-295912
Zentrum fuer Datenverarbeitung e-mail: ott@zdv.uni-tuebingen.de
Brunnenstrasse 27
D-72074 Tuebingen