9.630 the great tenure flap

Humanist (mccarty@phoenix.Princeton.EDU)
Mon, 18 Mar 1996 20:52:53 -0500 (EST)

[1] From: Nils Hasselmo <hasselmo@mailbox.mail.umn.edu> (47)
Subject: FOR YOUR INFORMATION from Nils Hasselmo

[2] From: Seth Katz <seth@bradley.bradley.edu> (9)
Subject: Re: 9.624 threat to tenure

[3] From: "A. G. W. Cameron" <acam@cfa.harvard.edu> (101)

[4] From: Richard Gordon <gordonr@cc.umanitoba.ca> (220)
Subject: Re: END OF TENURE IN U.S. ? Reply to Dr. Erwin Marquit

[5] From: Dan Olson <dolson@VINES.IUSB.EDU> (138)
Subject: Tenure not being eliminated

[6] From: "Warren G. Frisina" <wgfrisi@emory.edu> (11)
Subject: Tenure not being eliminated (fwd)

[7] From: William E Mishler <mishl001@maroon.tc.umn.edu> (25)

Date: Fri, 15 Mar 1996 13:57:38 CST
From: Nils Hasselmo <hasselmo@mailbox.mail.umn.edu>

[This letter was sent to the following on Friday, March 15.]

March 15, 1996

PLEASE DISTRIBUTE

TO: AAU Presidents, Academic Vice Presidents, Provosts,
Academic Deans, and Chairs of Faculties

NASULGC Presidents, Academic Vice Presidents, Provosts,
Academic Deans, and Chairs of Faculties

Editor, The Washington Post

FROM: Nils Hasselmo, President, University of Minnesota
Carl Adams, Chair, Faculty Consultative Committee, U of M

A great deal of misinformation about the University of MinnesotaUs review of its
tenure code and practices has been distributed on the internet in recent days.
As President of the University of Minnesota, and as Chair of the Faculty
Consultative Committee -- our facultyUs top elected post P we want to briefly
set the record straight.

On December 12, 1995, the University of MinnesotaUs Board of Regents adopted a
resolution formally requesting that the faculty and administration review the
tenure code. Shortly thereafter, a tenure review process was begun: a process
that is both faculty-led and governed by the Faculty SenateUs constitutional
procedures.

The tenure review we are undertaking is motivated by two goals which the faculty
and administration both wish to achieve. First, the University of Minnesota
will have iron-clad protection of academic freedom. This point must be
underscored: tenure and academic freedom will always be a pro tected and prized
value of the University of Minnesota.

Second, the tenure code will be changed in ways that will improve its:

1. Clarity -- by more fully explicating its purposes;

2. Flexibility - by recognizing the different employment rights, roles, and
responsibilities attached to different types of appointments; and by introducing
more unit-specific flexibilities, such as, variable periods of probationary
appointments;

3. Faculty and Administrative Accountability - by installing systematic
post-tenure review processes; and

4. Efficiency P by both formalizing and streamlining Judicial Committee
proceedings, and revising rules relevant to removal-for-cause actions.

These four criteria are key to achieving the University of Minnesota's
vision as stated in our University 2000 strategic plan. As such, these
same criteria are also driving our overall review of human resources
policies and, in particular, those that apply as well to our non-faculty
professional, civil service, student-employee staffs.

Since the original misinformation was widely circulated by internet, we ask you
to circulate this letter as widely as possible. Thank you for your assistance
in this matter.

NH:kb

Nils Hasselmo
President