9.551 editorial responsibility for Internet publishing

Humanist (mccarty@phoenix.Princeton.EDU)
Sat, 17 Feb 1996 17:18:11 -0500 (EST)

[1] From: Patrick John Coppock <patcop@alfa.avh.unit.no> (179)
Subject: Re: Publishing on the Internet

I thought this press-release from Electronic Frontier's Norway Chapter
might be of interest for members of the HUMANIST list. I'm sure the authors
would be interested in any kind of comments from people here (see their
e-mail addresses below)

Patrick

---------------------------------INSERT-------------------------------------

> Editorial responsibility on the Internet is absurd
>
> EFN press release on editorial responsibility 9th February 1996
>
> The introduction of a general editorial responsibility on
> the Internet is absurd since the Internet encompasses
> services which in society in general do not have such an
> editorial responsibility. For certain Internet services
> editorial responsibility can be appropriate for special
> types of uses, such as for instance the distribution of
> journals. A discussion of editorial responsibility for
> special kinds of uses of certain Internet-services is
> different from some kind of general responsibility.
>
> The idea of a general editorial responsibility on the
> Internet witnesses a lack of understanding of the fact that
> the Internet is composed of different services with
> different kinds of allocations of responsibilities.It is
> only the sender and receiver who decide what is to be
> distributed via the Internet, Internet service providers
> carry packages but do not know their contents.
>
> In our society we have norms and laws for what is
> acceptable. On the Internet these rules are often defined
> as "acceptable use". New electronic media demand that we
> re-examine laws, norms and rules. Unfortunately many people
> believe that a state of lawlessness is prevalent on the
> Internet. This is not correct, Norwegian law is also
> effective on the Internet.
>
> Many people believe too that ethical issues have not been
> considered. This is not true either. Electronic Frontier
> Norway (EFN) is one of several organisations who are
> looking forward to a debate about ethical issues that
> involve others than users of the Internet. It is important
> that the whole of Norwegian society gives its backing to
> laws and norms for the use of the Internet, since Internet
> is an integrated part of both Norwegian society and the
> international society.
>
> EFN is skeptical to users being deprived of their
> responsibilities, and this can be a consequence of
> introducing editorial responsibility.
>

> Arguments against editorial responsibility
>
> Users have a responsibility for following Norwegian law.
>
> A person who uses the Internet in Norway, has a
> responsibility for following Norwegian law. Borders are not
> visible on the Internet, and this must also be taken
> account of when deciding and practicing rules. Increased
> international coordination of lawmaking is important.
>
> The police investigate encroachments of the law, on the
> Internet as elsewhere in society. Infringements of rules
> and norms are normally indicted and taken up with the user
> by responsible persons, either in the firm/institution or
> with the Internet service provider.
>
> What is an editor?
>
> Paragraph 430 of the Criminal Punishment Law defines an
> editor in this way: "By editor of magazines or journals is
> understood in this chapter the one who makes decisions
> about the publication content, either he is denoted as
> [...]

------------------------------END INSERT---------------------------------

Patrick J. Coppock tel. +47 73 59 08 71 (office)
The Norwegian University of tel. +47 73 59 88 70 (lab)
Technology and Science tel. +47 72 55 50 91 (home)
Dept. of Applied Linguistics fax: +47 73 59 81 50
N-7055 Dragvoll, Norway e-mail: patcop@alfa.avh.unit.no
coppack@bo.nettuno.it

WWW http://www.hf.unit.no/anv/wwwpages/PJCHome2.html

"A person divides people into buyers and sellers, and forgets
that buyers are also sellers. Will his grammar change if I
remind him of this?" L. Wittgenstein, 22.11.1931