9.507 Java and society

Humanist (mccarty@phoenix.Princeton.EDU)
Wed, 31 Jan 1996 18:59:36 -0500 (EST)

[1] From: Willard McCarty <mccarty@phoenix.princeton.edu> (16)
Subject: computers & society

[2] From: Stan Beeler <sbeeler@quarles.unbc.edu> (24)
Subject: Java

[3] From: "Dr. Joel Goldfield" <joel@funrsc.fairfield.edu> (10)
Subject: Re: 9.501 computing & social models

[4] From: "C. M. Sperberg-McQueen" (90)
<U35395%UICVM.BitNet@pucc.Princeton.EDU>
Subject: In defense of Java (re: Humanist 9.501)

Date: Tue, 30 Jan 1996 18:49:17 -0500
From: Willard McCarty <mccarty@phoenix.princeton.edu>

Martin Mueller, referring in Humanist 9.505 to my question about computers
and social models, asks if "there [is] finally an interesting story in all
this or is it just the old story of 'individual and society' projected on a
technological screen?" My problem is with his "or", which I would rather
replace with "and". Perhaps there's not much of a point to be made other
than the apparent fact that computing systems mirror social models, and so
our idea of who we are, but it does seem to me that this point needs to be
made. Is it not crucial that we understand this mirroring relationship? If
the computer were not playing such a prominent role in the industrialized
world these days, then perhaps the idea of humanity it manifests would be a
less urgent concern. It approaches, however, the power of Archimedes' lever,
which to me means that we need to pay attention.

As an aside to all this, I also find myself musing over the metaphor of
"projection". Is that what we do?

WM