9.496 conferences

Humanist (mccarty@phoenix.Princeton.EDU)
Sun, 28 Jan 1996 13:02:42 -0500 (EST)

[1] From: GURT@guvax.acc.georgetown.edu (125)
Subject: GURT96: REMINDER

[2] From: Bernard Frischer <IDDHBDF@MVS.OAC.UCLA.EDU> (57)
Subject: UCLA CONFERENCE ON THE NEW SHAKESPEARE ELEGY

Date: Sat, 27 Jan 1996 01:31:47 -0500 (EST)
From: GURT@guvax.acc.georgetown.edu

PREREGISTRATION DEADLINE: (postmarked no later than) FEBRUARY 9,
1996. After this date, on-site fees apply. A 10% handling fee
will be charged for refunds.

====================CONFERENCE ANNOUNCEMENT====================

Georgetown University Round Table
on Languages and Linguistics 1996

Linguistics, language acquisition, and language variation:
Current trends and future prospects

March 14 - March 16, 1996

This is a brief version intended to keep list messages short.
To see the full program, visit this www-site:
>> http://www.georgetown.edu/conferences/gurt96/gurt96.html
.....or contact the GURT staff at the address given below.

Thursday, March 14, 1996

Opening remarks
James E. Alatis, Chair, Georgetown University Round Table
1996

Dedication of Conference to Earl Stevick, Independent Researcher

Plenary Address
David Crystal, University of Wales, Bangor
"Playing with linguistic problems from Orwell to Plato and
back again"

*****

Friday, March 15 and Saturday, March 16, 1996

INVITED SPEAKERS:

Donna Lardiere and Andrea Tyler, Georgetown University

Anna Uhl Chamot, The George Washington University

Donna Christian, Center for Applied Linguistics

Mary Ann Christison, Snow College

Reinhold Freudenstein, IFS der Philipps-Universitaet, Marburg/Lahn,
Germany

Braj Kachru, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign

Yamuna Kachru, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign

Stephen Krashen, University of Southern California

Michael Breen, Edith Cowan University, Australia

Ronald P. Leow, Georgetown University

Joan Morley, University of Michigan

Peter Patrick, Georgetown University

Theodore Rodgers, University of Hawaii and Bilkent University,
Ankara, Turkey

Renzo Titone, University of Rome, Italy and University of Toronto,
Ontario

Walt Wolfram and Gail Hamilton, North Carolina State University
and Ocracoke School, North Carolina

*****

Tutorial with Stephen Krashen, School of Education, University of
Southern California

This workshop will cover, and attempt to integrate, material
presented at Krashen's GURT presentations since 1989. It will
review evidence for and against the input hypothesis, the reading
hypothesis, applications of the input hypothesis to beginning
and intermediate language and literacy development, the role of
light reading, and applications to bilingual education.

Registration form. Please send a printout of this form and
your check or money order (payable to GEORGETOWN UNIVERSITY; no
credit cards) to: Carolyn A. Straehle, Coordinator, GURT 1996,
International Language Programs and Research, 306-U Intercultural
Center, Georgetown University, Washington, DC 20057-1045, U.S.A.

PREREGISTRATION DEADLINE: (postmarked no later than) FEBRUARY 9,
1996. After this date, on-site fees apply. A 10% handling fee
will be charged for refunds.

Badges and registration material are not mailed, but will be
available the days of the conference at the registration site in
Intercultural Center. Registration desk open from 8:45 a.m. during the
conference.

Please print clearly:

FIRST NAME__________________________________________________

LAST NAME___________________________________________________

PROFESSIONAL AFFILIATION (e.g. university, place of work)

MAILING ADDRESS_____________________________________________

CITY_____________________________STATE/PROV.________________

ZIP______________COUNTRY____________________________________

TELEPHONE ________________________

FAX ________________________

E-MAIL ________________________________________________

Please check here________ if you plan to attend opening-night
plenary session and reception, Thursday, March 14.

Please mark with (X) categories which apply:

Please note that the TUTORIAL conducted by Stephen Krashen is NOT
included with the full conference, daily, or other rates listed
below; there is an additional $40 fee to attend the tutorial
($50.00 after February 9).

NON-GEORGETOWN RATES

PREREGISTRATION On-site (after
(no later than FEBRUARY 9,
FEBRUARY 9, 1996) 1996)
Full Conference
(includes Thursday opening
plenary/reception, Friday,
Saturday) ______ $ 100.00 ______ $ 125.00
Opening plenary/reception only ______ $ 40.00 ______ $ 50.00
Friday only ______ $ 40.00 ______ $ 50.00
Saturday only ______ $ 40.00 ______ $ 50.00
Tutorial ______ $ 40.00 ______ $ 50.00

TOTAL

Discounted rates (include Thursday opening plenary/reception,
Friday, and Saturday)

Senior citizens* ______ $ 40.00 ______ $ 50.00
Students* ______ $ 40.00 ______ $ 50.00
Tutorial ______ $ 40.00 ______ $ 50.00

*with copy of I.D.

Group rates available for groups of five or more by FEBRUARY 9
only (no on-site group registration). Please contact Conference
Coordinator to make arrangements.

GEORGETOWN UNIVERSITY PREREGISTRATION RATE
(no later than FEBRUARY 9, 1996)

Students (all fees
except tutorial waived
if volunteering) ______ $ 20.00 ______ $ 30.00
Faculty and staff ______ $ 25.00 ______ $ 35.00
Tutorial ______ $ 30.00 ______ $ 40.00

TOTAL ENCLOSED $

For more information, please contact Carolyn A. Straehle,
Coordinator * GURT 1996 * Georgetown University
International Language Programs and Research * 306-U
Intercultural Center * Washington, DC 20057-1045
e-mail: gurt@guvax.bitnet or gurt@guvax.georgetown.edu *
voice: 202/687-5726 * fax: 202/687-0699