9.493 e-text archives

Humanist (mccarty@phoenix.Princeton.EDU)
Fri, 26 Jan 1996 20:03:14 -0500 (EST)

[1] From: "Peter Graham, RUL" (23)
<psgraham@gandalf.rutgers.edu>
Subject: Re: 9.487 e-text archives

[2] From: rob@psulias.psu.edu (39)
Subject: e-text archives

Date: Thu, 25 Jan 96 10:35:32 EST
From: "Peter Graham, RUL" <psgraham@gandalf.rutgers.edu>

From: Peter Graham, Rutgers University Libraries
On e-text archives:

1) John Unsworth suggested "publishers" as the solution. They are not the
solution, any more than they are for books: if a book goes out of print,
there goes the information. The preservation solution is in libraries, who
keep the books and make sure they last (when they can). A similar division
of labor will take place in the future.

2) As I've written somewhat on the topic, and am maintaining a bibliography
on electronic preservation, let me point interested parties to the bib:
<URL:http://aultnis.rutgers.edu/pgbib.html> will get you to two different but
related bibliographies.

3) A very brief summary of some points of interest: long term preservation
of electronic information comprises three parts, rather like Gaul:
a. medium preservation: refreshing tapes before the oxide flakes off;
b. technology preservation: migrating information forward so that it can be
used in later versions of hardware and software (a very tricky business);
c. intellectual preservation: preserving the integrity, or authenticity, of
information in this highly ephemeral format (this can be done through
mathematical techniques).

There has been work in this area though not yet sufficient demonstration
projects. --pg

Peter Graham psgraham@gandalf.rutgers.edu Rutgers University Libraries
169 College Ave., New Brunswick, NJ 08903 (908)445-5908; fax (908)445-5888
<URL:http://aultnis.rutgers.edu/pghome.html>