9.487 e-text archives

Humanist (mccarty@phoenix.Princeton.EDU)
Wed, 24 Jan 1996 19:11:22 -0500 (EST)

[1] From: Jim Marchand <marchand@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> (25)
Subject: e-text archives

[2] From: Robert Kraft <kraft@ccat.sas.upenn.edu> (26)
Subject: Re: 9.484 e-text archives, preservation

[3] From: "John M. Unsworth" <jmu2m@virginia.edu> (4)
Subject: Re: 9.484 e-text archives

Date: Tue, 24 Jan 96 10:36:55 CST
From: Jim Marchand <marchand@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu>

I am sure I echo everyone's wishes when I say that it would be great to have
all archives freely available. As it is, we have so many different methods
of access. One problem is finding out about their existence. CPET and
e-texts in Philosophy help out, but we need greater coverage. Methods of
access differ greatly: 1. CD-ROM (rented) for materials from Packard; 2.
CD-ROM (bought) for ICAME, Aquinas, Migne, Cetedoc; 3. telnet (Dartmouth
Dante, MHD Begriffsdatenbank); 4. institutional license (ARTFL; RLIN
materials); 5. by request (OTA); 6. ftp, gopher, www (OBI, Gutenberg,
Lysator). We do have grand web walkers, such as Labyrinth and Tennessee Bob
Peckham's French site, but I have on many occasions found things not
registered anywhere. Back in 1965, Gary Carlson of Brigham Young put out a
_Literary Works in Machine Readable Form_, widely circulated and containing
a large number of texts. Some I can trace, but about others I wonder where
they have gone.
While I have your ear, let me broach another related subject. The items
mentioned by Carlson were stored on MT (mag tape), PC (punched cards) and PT
(paper tape). Suppose I located all of them. I might not be able to read
any of them. For magnetic tape formats differed strongly in the old days; I
have some old Control Data tapes I cannot read, and I do not know their
format exactly (probably 8 [what do you call those strips we used to worry
about so?]). Who has a paper tape reader (who remembers dropping loops,
breaking and splicing, etc.), who has a card reader? We need to convert to
keep up with the technology. Away from the computer: there are archives
which have cylinders, 78s, wire, variable speed tape, etc. of precious
recordings of sound materials. Que faire?
Jim Marchand.