9.407 GUIs

Humanist (mccarty@phoenix.Princeton.EDU)
Thu, 21 Dec 1995 19:45:14 -0500 (EST)

http://www.princeton.edu/~mccarty/humanist/

[1] From: Don Fowler <don.fowler@Jesus.oxford.ac.uk> (52)
Subject: Re: 9.401 on GUIs

[2] From: Roger Brisson <rob@psulias.psu.edu> (32)
Subject: GUI OPACs

[3] From: Andrew Armour <armour@pncl.co.uk> (16)

Date: Thu, 21 Dec 1995 10:17:26 +0000 (GMT)
From: Don Fowler <don.fowler@Jesus.oxford.ac.uk>

Isn't the day of the proprietary front-end for ANY OPAC coming to an end?
The obvious way to handle user-interface is through WWW pages, which can
then economically offer the same facilities world wide, to any platform
with an available browser. The underlying engine can then take any form,
and if it changes in any way modifications to the front-end are a trivial
matter of a few lines of HTML or some simple CGI programming: and the
OPAC can be integrated with other information sources seamlessly. In
theory, there could be a performance hit, but I doubt very much that that
would be true in practice.
But I'm a user, not an expert.

Don.Fowler@Jesus.ox.ac.uk

* Don Fowler, Fellow and Tutor in Classics, Jesus College, Oxford OX 1 3DW.*
* Don.Fowler@Jesus.ox.ac.uk, Telephone (01865) 279700, Fax (01865) 279687. *
* Home Page: http://Jesus.ox.ac.uk/~dpf/ *
* Classics at Oxford: http://info.ox.ac.uk/~classics/ *