9.368 media old and new

Humanist (mccarty@phoenix.Princeton.EDU)
Sat, 9 Dec 1995 01:36:01 -0500 (EST)

http://www.princeton.edu/~mccarty/humanist/

[1] From: "Gary W. Shawver" <gshawver@epas.utoronto.ca> (48)
Subject: Media old and new

[2] From: "Todd J. B. Blayone" <chorus@bud.peinet.pe.ca> (68)
Subject: Re: 9.344 media & messages

Date: Wed, 6 Dec 1995 23:07:31 -0500
From: "Gary W. Shawver" <gshawver@epas.utoronto.ca>

Recently I had the opportunity to participate in the U. of Calgary's
Electric Scriptorium, a virtual conference in which participants posted
their papers on the WWW. While preparing my paper for the conference, I
discovered: 1. I had to totally rethink my ideas about what constituted
order in an academic paper. 2. The WWW, with its hypertext format and its
essentially 'open' nature was actually a supeior medium for publishing the
kind or work I do. I will attempt to elborate upon the above, but first I
will explain what I do and my discontents with the hallowed medium of
academic discourse--print.

I am presently writing a thesis that, among other things, involves the use
of TACT's CollocateDisplay and COLLGEN on a medium-sized text corpus.
Specifically, I am doing a semantic field analysis certain words in
Chaucer's works (all of them) through the study of their collocates. To
date, my papers on this subject have been about equally split between pages
containing written analysis and those containing tables, charts and. This
means that if I follow the MLA Handbook on the placement of tables, etc.
and put these elements "as close to the parts of the text to which they
relate" (3.7) the analysis text is unbearably fragmented with, at times,
pages of tables, etc. In addition, since tables, etc. may be referred to
numerous times throughout the paper, any attentive, critical reader must
constantly leaf back and forth between text and table. If, on the other
hand, I follow the alternate model suggested by Turabian and put such
elements "in an appendix" (6.1), the relevant analysis text may be
separated from its corresponding table, etc. by many pages, hidden away at
the end of the article, perhaps shrunk to illegibility or hanging on its
side to fit the page. Thus I am faced with two, equally unattractive,
alternatives: either disrupt prose with tables, etc. interspersed
throughout, or bury these important elements at the end of an article,
chapter, etc. Such, by and large, are my discontents.

Preparing a paper for WWW presentation has been a revelation. In such a
hypertext environment, the difficulties posed by the print medium are
greatly reduced, the potential for what a scholarly paper is, expanded.
In such an environment, the apparatus with which scholars deal with
multiple levels of discourse, i.e. footnotes, bibliographies, appendices,
etc. are largely irrelevent. Hypertext links allow almost immediate access
to these various levels of discourse bypassing the problems listed above.
On the Web these links can reach to the world outside the paper--to TACTWeb
for example, where, eventually, readers will be able to replicate and
verify the published results. Well, I've talked enough about a subject
that is probably old hat to most of you. Perhaps the best way to "see"
what I'm talking about is my very imperfect implimentation of this idea at
the Electric Scriptorium
"http://acs.ucalgary.ca/~scriptor/index/abstracts.html" (where you can see
the other very fine papers presented at the conference) or at
"http://www.epas.utoronto.ca:8080/~gshawver/espaper.html".

Enough said

Gary W. Shawver
University of Toronto\E-Mail: gshawver@epas.utoronto.ca\