9.330 vox et...; colleges; careers

Humanist (mccarty@phoenix.Princeton.EDU)
Wed, 29 Nov 1995 18:45:35 -0500 (EST)

http://www.princeton.edu/~mccarty/humanist/

[1] From: Jim Marchand <marchand@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> (6)
Subject: vox et praeterea nihil

[2] From: JAMES GUTHRIE <JGUTHRIE@corvus.wright.edu> (20)
Subject: Re: 9.323 the residential college

[3] From: pharriman@acs.wooster.edu (25)
Subject: Interdisciplinary careers

Date: Tue, 29 Nov 95 10:09:25 CST
From: Jim Marchand <marchand@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu>

This is a quotation from Plutarch, on the man who plucked a nightingale and
found little left; he concluded that there was a "voice/song and little
else". It is often misused these days as a put down for someone you
consider a loud-mouth, but in the good old days it meant "only a song".
Being bookless for the moment, I cannot look it up for you, but I remember
it well.
Jim Marchand.