9.300 Pergasus? Nota Bene?

Humanist (mccarty@phoenix.Princeton.EDU)
Fri, 17 Nov 1995 18:55:40 -0500 (EST)

http://www.princeton.edu/~mccarty/humanist/

[1] From: Margaret Downs-Gamble <margaret@vt.edu> (12)
Subject: query Pergasus

[2] From: Michael Wolf Irmscher (17)
<irmscher@leland.Stanford.EDU>
Subject: Notabene word processor (for Windows 3.1)

Date: Thu, 16 Nov 1995 20:18:47 -0500
From: Margaret Downs-Gamble <margaret@vt.edu>

One of my graduate students is working on a 17th C. verse which mentions a
tree that grows in Pergasus (in Sicily). Does anyone have a sense of the
possible significance of such a tree? My student is convinced it is a
phallic image; I am not, but have had no luck investigating this. Any
ideas?
--Margaret Downs-Gamble

Dr. Margaret Downs-Gamble
Department of English