9.290 virtual perils

Humanist (mccarty@phoenix.Princeton.EDU)
Mon, 13 Nov 1995 18:51:32 -0500 (EST)

http://www.princeton.edu/~mccarty/humanist/

[1] From: Joseph Jones <jjones@unixg.ubc.ca> (24)
Subject: perils of virtuality

[2] From: "Christopher G. Fox" <cgfox@rci.rutgers.edu> (14)
Subject: Re: 9.287 virtuality

Date: Sun, 12 Nov 95 15:52:45 PST
From: Joseph Jones <jjones@unixg.ubc.ca>

I get a telephone call from someone who needs bibliographic information
for a book they have returned to the library. I check the online
catalogue and read out the desired information. They mention that the
book came from another library. I caution them about variations in
editions, imprints, etc. All they want is to fill in a blank before a
deadline. No time to be scrupulous.

I am sure Jim O'Donnell knows his library, his book, and what the title
and date should be. Many (too many) others do not. Part of the
librarian's burden is trying to salvage the confusion. Sometimes it is
impossible.

Joseph Jones jjones@unixg.ubc.ca
University of British Columbia Library