9.278 vagueness & ambiguity

Humanist (mccarty@phoenix.Princeton.EDU)
Thu, 9 Nov 1995 08:41:55 -0500 (EST)

http://www.princeton.edu/~mccarty/humanist/

[1] From: ocramer@cc.colorado.edu (17)
Subject: vagueness, not ambiguity

[2] From: Gary Shawver <gshawver@epas.utoronto.ca> (31)
Subject: Re: 9.275 vagueness & ambiguity

Date: Wed, 08 Nov 1995 14:13:22 MST
From: ocramer@cc.colorado.edu

I've been reading Gogol with students, and fundamental vagueness
seems to be an important property of his texts. I'm thinking of
the "thick mist" (no doubt Homeric at some level) into which things
and people disappear, as at the end of "The Overcoat" with Akaky
Akakievich. There's also a case at the start of "The Nose" in which
Ivan Yakovlevich *has* no last name, the text supplies merely a
parenthesis in which that absence (precursory to the loss by another
character of his nose?) is noted: "his surname has got lost and all that
his shop-front signboard shows is a gentleman with a lathered cheek and
the inscription `We also let blood')"--implying that, to some extent,
the picture and inscription *take the place of* a surname. Gogol is
the Formalists' great example of features of the narrative voice itself
taking over the functions of plot and character, so that the whole
text is, as far as referential clarity goes, vague.
Owen Cramer
Classics/Comp. Lit.
Colorado College
OCRAMER@cc.colorado.edu