9.275 vagueness & ambiguity

Humanist (mccarty@phoenix.Princeton.EDU)
Tue, 7 Nov 1995 21:18:57 -0500 (EST)

http://www.princeton.edu/~mccarty/humanist/

[1] From: Willard McCarty <mccarty@epas.utoronto.ca> (36)
Subject: a vague example

[2] From: PRFIJK@puknet.puk.ac.za (16)
Subject: 9.266 vagueness

[3] From: Galen K. Pletcher <pletchgk@potsdam.edu> (47)
Subject: Re: 9.268 vagueness

Date: Mon, 6 Nov 1995 22:33:39 -0500
From: Willard McCarty <mccarty@epas.utoronto.ca>

Marta Steele, in Humanist 9.268, asks for examples of vagueness germane to
my earlier point (if it can be called that) about poetic text escaping
markup. I suppose fit examples are legion and have been discussed far more
systematically than I can manage, and perhaps I should be told to go reread
Empson on the 7 types. Allow me, however, to toss out one of my favourites
just to get the discussion rolling.

In Ovid's Met. book 6, in the story of Philomela, her father Pandion holds a
royal banquet for the Thracian king Tereus, his wife Procne (Pandion's
daughter), and her sister Philomela, at which,

REGALES EPULAE MENSIS ET BACCHUS IN AURO
PONITUR...
[a] royal feast on the tables and bacchus in [a] gold [cup]
is placed... (6.488-9)

This is usually translated (as in the Loeb), "A royal feast was spread, wine
in cups of gold". The question is, if this were being marked up for persons,
how would we treat BACCHUS? The simple evasion is to say that here BACCHUS
is a fossilized term meaning only "wine" (as in the second translation),
hence there are no persons to catch. End of story. But I think that if we
pay close attention to the poetry we can see that, as it were, Bacchus
lurking in the cup is just right given Tereus' obsession with Pandion's
daughter Philomela and, especially, Procne's and Philomela's later
behaviour. All hell is waiting to break loose. (Apologies to those who do
not know the story; it is worth bothering to read if you haven't.) Obviously
to signify this BACCHUS as Bacchus is wrong, and to ignore BACCHUS by
considering it simply as "wine" is also wrong. The best I can do is to
consider BACCHUS an attribute of Bacchus -- defining "attribute" to be a
characteristic quality or object associated with the person -- which isn't
entirely right either, but it comes close.

Here the vagueness is precise and very effective. The translation into
markup loses much -- AND it draws our attention to what is missed.

Does that help? make sense?

Willard McCarty