9.255 layered hypertext, cont.

Humanist (mccarty@phoenix.Princeton.EDU)
Fri, 27 Oct 1995 08:35:27 -0400 (EDT)

http://www.princeton.edu/~mccarty/humanist/

[1] From: John Merritt Unsworth (39)
<jmu2m@jefferson.village.virginia.edu>
Subject: Re: 9.255 humanities & software

[2] From: Language Technology <langtech@DGS.dgsys.com> (37)

[3] From: Brian Whittaker <BRIANW@VM2.YorkU.CA> (104)
Subject: Re: 9.251 more on layered hypertext

Date: Thu, 26 Oct 1995 09:23:45 -0400 (EDT)
From: John Merritt Unsworth <jmu2m@jefferson.village.virginia.edu>

> From: flannagan@ouvaxa.cats.ohiou.edu
> >=20
> ....The project at UVa=20
> sounds promising, but the graphic model of drawing circles around=20
> patches of text bothers me a little, as do "note-pad" interfaces: it'=
s=20
> messy enough on paper when one is grading student themes, and it vari=
es=20
> from copy-editor to copy-editor. I like hot-keys linked to=20
> definitions, still images, video-clips, sound-bites. =20

Inote isn't intended to replace regular hypertext tools and interfaces,=20
(such as HTML and the Web) which provide the kind of links that Roy=20
favors: it's intended to supplement those interfaces with a way to talk
about and analyze images. In the case of an image of the printed page,=20
we assume that an SGML transcription of the page would also exist, and=20
might well be linked to other materials in the way that Roy describes:=20
the page image, then, would be used as the basis for hypertextual=20
discussion of the physical object.

> From: Willard McCarty <mccarty@epas.utoronto.ca>
> Subject: humanities computing software
>=20
> I'm glad to hear about IATH's super software, but on checking out the URL
> that John Merritt Unsworth provided, to
> http://jefferson.village.virginia.edu/software.html,=20
> I find that it is for the X-windows environment, which effectively stops=
=20
> me cold. Sure, I can get to an X-environment, but not on my home machine,=
=20
> where all my important work (such as it is) is done. So I for one would=
=20
> encourage IATH to develop its tools on more commonplace equipment.=20

We understand that most humanists don't work at Xwindows stations, and we=
=20
know that, at this stage, Inote will have a limited usefulness because it=
=20
is a Unix-based program. However, Unix is an excellent environment for=20
prototyping software, and that's what Inote is at this point--a=20
prototype. As I think I mentioned in an earlier post, we are beginning=20
now to reprogram Inote in Java, a cross-platform programming language=20
that should make it possible for us to distribute Inote through the Web,=20
as needed, in conjunction with annotated images. If anyone is interested=
=20
in more information about Java, see http://java.sun.com/

Meanwhile, and as we go through that re-programming process, we'd=20
appreciate comments or suggestions from Humanist readers who can get=20
access to Xstations or X-emulation software. =20

John Unsworth