9.216 Bible software page; book on TEI

Humanist (mccarty@phoenix.Princeton.EDU)
Sun, 8 Oct 1995 11:03:52 -0400 (EDT)

http://www.princeton.edu/~mccarty/humanist/

[1] From: Harry Hahne <hahne@epas.utoronto.ca> (39)
Subject: Bible Software Web Page

[2] From: Nancy Ide <ide@univ-aix.fr> (91)
Subject: Book: Text Encoding Initiative

Date: Sat, 7 Oct 1995 12:36:18 -0400 (EDT)
From: Harry Hahne <hahne@epas.utoronto.ca>

Subject: Bible software World Wide Web page

WORLD WIDE WEB PAGE ON BIBLE ANAYLYSIS SOFTWARE

A World Wide Web page focuses on Bible-search software and
computer-assisted biblical research. This page is a subsection of
Chorus, an online journal of humanities computing. The URL is:

http://www.peinet.pe.ca:2080/Chorus/Hahne/m003.html

This Web page contains the following information of interest to Bible
scholars and students:

1. Reviews of several Bible-search programs, with a particular
emphasis on the suitability of the programs for scholarly
research.
2. Papers related to computer-assisted biblical research.
3. Web links to other sites of interest for biblical scholarship.

One paper of particular interest to many in this group is my paper
called "Interpretive Implications of Using Bible-Search Software for
New Testament Grammatical Analysis". I presented this paper at the
ETS annual meeting and I have received many requests for copies of it.
This paper is an updated and revised version of a paper I presented at
AIBI 4, called "Avoiding the Pitfalls of Computer-Assisted New Testament
Grammatical Analysis".

The paper expores some hidden pitfalls in using Bible-search programs
which can lead to inacurrate search results. In my tests of several
Bible-search programs, I have found considerable variation in search
results. This paper looks at several factors which can affect search
accuracy:

1. Differences in the underlying texts, including grammatical
tagging schemes.
2. Differences in the capabilities and assumptions of the search
software.
3. Common user errors.

Although the emphasis of the paper is on Greek New Testament searches,
the principles apply to searches of the Hebrew Bible and Bible
translations in any language.

If you have suggestions for other materials to put on this Web page or
if you know of other Web pages that I should should set links to, send
me an email message. I look forward to any feedback or suggestions on
how to make this a more useful resource for Bible researchers.

Harry Hahne
Ontario Theological Seminary
hahne@epas.utoronto.ca