9.158 learning and information

Humanist (mccarty@phoenix.Princeton.EDU)
Fri, 15 Sep 1995 18:41:08 -0400 (EDT)

http://www.princeton.edu/~mccarty/humanist

[1] From: Andrew Armour <armour@pncl.co.uk> (28)
Subject: Re: 9.156 books and learning

[2] From: POOS@CUA.EDU (40)

Date: Fri, 15 Sep 1995 12:14:46 +0100
From: Andrew Armour <armour@pncl.co.uk>

>I was trying to say that people have always had
>sources for self-learning and technology does not change the ability of
>those who can learn without a teacher to get at information.

I know that I am taking Geoffrey Rockwell's words somewhat out of context
here, but we must admit that even in its present, immature form the Internet
offers someone living hundreds of kilometers from any educational
institution the ability to access vast amounts of static information
(databases, libraries, FAQs, etc.) as well as the sort of "live" information
that flows via e-mail, lists and on-line conferences. Motivation and
interaction can and are being provided via the Net (with PGP
confidentiality, if necessary). The threat is not to those who can teach,
interpret and assess (provided they are in the "wired" camp), but to "tired"
universities that are not prepared to go virtual. I agree that face-to-face
interaction is extremely valuable and that e-mail or on-line seminars can
only be a partial substitute, but traditional tutoring will increasingly be
seen as a luxury society cannot afford. Once you remove the need for people
to gather in one location, you have a situation in which virtual
universities will compete globally for students and staff. No doubt this
will lead to much gnashing of teeth in some quarters, but in countries where
traditional universities have been unaffordable luxuries there will be much
rejoicing. Also, unless contractually tied, a professor could "teach" at
several virtual institutions simultaneously. The possibilities are
intriguing if not always welcome.

I am interested to see which major university will be the first to set up a
full-fledged virtual campus. I suspect it may initiate a stampede similar to
that witnessed in the commercial sphere, with faculties anxious to appear W
not T.

Andrew Armour
Keio & Oxford