HUMANIST Digest 7 September 1995

Humanist (mccarty@phoenix.Princeton.EDU)
Thu, 7 Sep 1995 09:40:45 -0400 (EDT)

http://www.princeton.edu/~mccarty/humanist/humanist.html

[1 ] From: Stuart Lee <stuart@vax.ox.ac.uk> (15 )
Subject: WWW Site

[2 ] From: Donald Spaeth <dspaeth@dish.gla.ac.uk> (29 )
Subject: Future networking needs

Date: Wed, 06 Sep 1995 16:02:24 +0100
From: Stuart Lee <stuart@vax.ox.ac.uk>

Users of Humanist may be interested in looking at a small WWW site I have put
together to teach First World War poetry. The URL is:

http://www.ox.ac.uk/depts/humanities/rose/

I'd appreciate any comments/feedback,

Stuart Lee
*************************************
Dr Stuart D Lee
Humanities IT Support Officer
Oxford University Computing Services
13 Banbury Road
Oxford OX2 6NN
Tel: 01865-283403
Fax: 01865-273221
E-mail: Stuart.Lee@oucs.ox.ac.uk
Web: http://www.ox.ac.uk/depts/humanities/

Date: Thu, 7 Sep 1995 14:17:24 +0001
From: Donald Spaeth <dspaeth@dish.gla.ac.uk>

I have been asked to speak about user networking needs at
the UKERNA Janet User Support conference next week.
(UKERNA supports JANET, the UK component of the Internet
network.) My audience will be those providing support for
network users in UK computing services.

Naturally, I have my own views about what users need,
including easier access, navigational help (i.e. help in
finding useful servers), faster access, stability, help in
locating and identifying authoritative sites. But since
this provides a rare opportunity to address computing
professionals on the needs of historians and humanists, I
thought I would throw the discussion open.

What do you think? Do you think the Internet has great
potential for those in history and the humanities, or are
you one of the skeptics, and why? What do you think is
the single-most important user requirement on the
Internet? Possible answers might be in the areas of
training/support, searchers/browsers/tools, resources,
etc. What (if any) information server is the most useful
for your own work, and why?

I look forward to reading your views.

Yours,
Donald Spaeth