9.122 aesthetics of Humanist

Humanist (mccarty@phoenix.Princeton.EDU)
Fri, 25 Aug 1995 22:58:39 -0400 (EDT)

http://www.princeton.edu/~mccarty/humanist/humanist.html

[1] From: Willard McCarty <mccarty@epas.utoronto.ca> (22)
Subject: headers & mailers
[2] From: "Jane A. Edwards" <edwards@cogsci.Berkeley.EDU> (143)
Subject: revised posting
[3] From: "James Woolley, Lafayette College" <WOOLLEYJ@lafvax.lafayette.edu>
Subject: Aesthetics of Humanist
[4] From: Mary Ellen Foley <mef@netcom.com> (8)
Subject: Re: 9.120 aesthetics of Humanist
[5] From: Nicholas Heer <heer@u.washington.edu> (31)
[6] From: Gregory Bloomquist <GBLOOMQUIST@spu.stpaul.uottawa.ca> (25)

-[1]-------------------------------------------------------------------
From: Willard McCarty <mccarty@epas.utoronto.ca>
To: mccarty@phoenix.Princeton.EDU
Date: Fri, 25 Aug 1995 22:38:09 -0400

My thanks to several people for helpful suggestions about how to reduce the
amount of perceived irrelevance in Humanist messages. Two things have or are
happening:

1. Improvements have and are being made to the digester software, written by
Gregory Murphy (CETH, Princeton) in perl and based on an earlier design by
Michael Sperberg-McQueen.

2. The technical information WWW page for Humanist has been expanded to
include instructions on how to adjust four of the most popular mailers so as
drastically to reduce the number of lines at the beginning of each piece of
e-mail. Suggestions, corrections, and contributions to the technical page on
this or any other such matter of interest to Humanists would be very welcome
indeed. All of us on the staff of Humanist use unix and so may tend falsely
to generalise about what works on various computing systems.

The question of whether to digest at all seems to be a matter more of
editing style than anything else. It would take a very strong argument
indeed to persuade me that sending out individual messages is preferable to
intelligent (i.e. manual) digesting for Humanist.

It may seem odd to speak of aesthetics when dealing with the looks of
e-mail, but every little bit of elegance, however small, helps, no?

WM