9.0049 Language Software Available (1/52)

Elaine Brennan (EDITORS@BROWNVM.BITNET)
Tue, 6 Jun 1995 02:07:11 EDT

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 9, No. 0049. Tuesday, 6 Jun 1995.

Date: Mon, 29 May 1995 10:22:50 -0400 (EDT)
From: Michael Metzger <MLLMIKEM@UBVMS.BITNET>
Subject: New Language software

I have written three Macintosh programs for teachers, called Vinco
Bingo, Roman Calendar, and Natalis. They are described at the end of this
message.

Vinco Bingo is of interest to teachers of any foreign language that is
written in the Roman alphabet (e.g., French, Spanish, German, etc., but
not languages like Greek, Russian, Arabic).

The other two programs (Roman Calendar and Natalis) would
interest only Latin teachers. (I teach Latin at SUNY Buffalo.)

If you would like free shareware copies of the programs (Macintosh
computers only), send a disk and two loose 32-cent stamps to:

Leo C. Curran
4317 Harlem Road
Snyder, NY 14226. (in%"lccurran@ubvms.cc.buffalo.edu")

No special mailing envelope is necessary when you send your disk to me. I
have found that ordinary envelopes without stiffeners work fine.

Leo C. Curran

Software for Foreign Language Teachers

With Vinco Bingo your own list of words (e.g., vocabulary,
grammatical forms, cultural items, etc.) can be automatically made into sets
of "bingo" cards in the language of your choice. Each card of the set will be
different, containing a different random selection of your words arranged
in a random location in the boxes on the card. Included with the set of cards
is a sheet with all of your words listed in random order; you can use this
sheet to call out the definitions of your words when you play the game with
your students.

Roman Calendar, with only half a dozen keystrokes by the user, will
automatically produce an 8.5" by 11" wall calendar for any month of any
year. The square for each day of the month will contain, in a variety of
typefaces, the day's number according to our calendar (e.g., "2"), the day's
number as the Romans counted it (e.g., "IV" for the fourth day before the
Nones), and the full Latin name of the day (e.g., "ante diem IV Nonas
Apriles"). Along with the Latin name of the month, the year ab urbe
condita will appear in Roman numerals at the top of the page. The program
"knows" how many days are in the month chosen and whether the Nones
and Ides come early or late in that month.

With Natalis a student's birth date can be entered according to our
calendar and the program will automatically print a decorative certificate
bearing the student's name and birth date according to the Roman calendar.