9.0047 Q; Cyrillic Fonts and Macs (1/43)

Elaine Brennan (EDITORS@BROWNVM.BITNET)
Sat, 27 May 1995 19:52:48 EDT

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 9, No. 0047. Saturday, 27 May 1995.

Date: Fri, 26 May 1995 10:30:18 -0600
From: anixon@carleton.edu (Andrea Nixon)
Subject: Question: Cyrillic character mapping and fonts & Resource: MacTranslit

Greetings to all. I have just returned from a long break from the list and
it is great to be back.

I have a question for the list about working with Cyrillic within the
Macinstosh's system 7.1. The background is that I am helping a faculty
member here at Carleton College who is working on her dissertation. The
dissertation will be turned into her home institution in Russia and, as is
the case everywhere, she has some very strict guidelines for the formatting
of the final version.

One of the requirements is that she use a font that would give her 60
characters per line (each line is 21cm in length). So, I am looking for a
fixed space or monospace font for her. The tricky bit comes in with the
character mappings for the Cyrillic characters. She has been working up
until now with the Moscow font.

My questions for the list are:

1. Is there anyone on the list that has done a dissertation on a
Macintosh that they turned in to a Russian institution? If so, I would be
grateful if you would e-mail me directly.

2. Does anyone on the list know how to find out what character mapping
a Cyrillic font draws from?

I did find one very helpful resource called MacTranslit that others on the
list might find of interest. This is a utility for the Mac that converts
text-only documents from one character mapping to another. You can get a
copy from Sumex-Aim (sumex-aim.stanford.edu) in
info-mac/textprocessing/mac-translit131.hqx.

Thanks in advance!

Sincerely,

Andrea Nixon
Academic Computing Coordinator