8.0290 Jobs: Comp LInguist; Humanities Computing (3/171)

Elaine Brennan (EDITORS@BROWNVM.BITNET)
Tue, 1 Nov 1994 00:17:01 EST

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 8, No. 0290. Tuesday, 1 Nov 1994.

(1) Date: Fri, 28 Oct 94 13:33:16 GMT (57 lines)
From: Richard Giordano <rich@cs.man.ac.uk>
Subject: Information Systems Job for Computational Linguist

(2) Date: Thu, 27 Oct 1994 10:39:43 GMT + 2:00 (56 lines)
From: "Jan Christoph Meister,
Subject: Visiting Lecturers/ Professors - Humanities Computing

(3) Date: Thu, 27 Oct 1994 10:26:38 GMT + 2:00 (58 lines)
From: "Jan Christoph Meister,

Date: Fri, 28 Oct 94 13:33:16 GMT
From: Richard Giordano <rich@cs.man.ac.uk>

The Department of Computer Science at the University of Manchester is
recruiting a Reader in Information Systems. We are interested in
recruiting someone who has experience with very large databases,
particularly someone with copora (or, preferably, multi-lingual
corpora) with database experience. We are looking for people who
already have an international reputation, and a strong theoretical
orientation. We are interested in the retrieval problems that large
corpora (especially multi-lingual corpora) pose to computer science.

For non-British recipients of this announcement, a Reader is the rough
equivalent to a tenured associated professor--someone is about halfway
to being a Full Professor.

About the position: We have a broad definition of information systems.
We currently cover such areas as HCI, databases, AI (as it related to
information retrieval), natural language processing (again, the
retrieval aspects of it), organizational behavior, and process
modelling. We are closely associated with the AI Group, the Medical
Informatics Group, the Department of Psychology and the School of
Management at UMIST as well as the Manchester Business School.

About the Department: I won't bore you with the hardware we have around
here, but suffice it to say that we are one of the largest Sun
installations in Europe. We also have a range of parallel and
supercomputers. The Computer Science Department is composed of about
60 academic staff and as many full-time research staff. Our research
covers every area of computer science, and then some--including
computer eithics, and the social aspects of computing.

The salary is about #35,000 a year. To sort-out what you'd make as an
American, multiply this figure by 1.55. About 30% to 36% of your gross
salary will be eaten up in *all* direct taxes. Although you won't have
automatic contributions made to TIAA/CREF, the pension plan here is
transferable to TIAA. This means that you contribute to the University
Superannuation Scheme while you're here, and when you return home, (if
that's what you want to do later in life), you can shift your
contributions to TIAA. Of course, you can contribute to TIAA
individually. Great Britain has a health system that is free at the
point of delivery.

As you might have expected, I'm an American teaching over here (there are
more than a few of us here), so if you have any questions, please
feel free to contact me at rich@cs.man.ac.uk.

If you want more information about the position itself, please contact me
or Professor Brian Warboys at brian@cs.man.ac.uk

/rich