8.0242 Linguistics Research Survey (1/56)

Elaine Brennan (EDITORS@BROWNVM.BITNET)
Mon, 10 Oct 1994 23:02:19 EDT

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 8, No. 0242. Monday, 10 Oct 1994.

Date: Thu, 06 Oct 1994 09:05:02 -0400 (EDT)
From: FASOLD@guvax.acc.georgetown.edu
Subject: Linguistics Research Survey

I wonder if some of you would be willing to help me out by returning your ans-
wers to the following four questions for some research I'm doing. I'd be
pleased to describe what it's all about to anyone who sends me answers.
If you think you already know what it's about, please don't respond. Your
opinions might be influenced by what you think about the issue involved. I've
repeated the examples only at the end of this in the hope that they might all
be on your screen at once so you can REPLY. My great appreciation in advance
to anybody who answers these.

Ralph Fasold

1. Suppose there is a man named John who talks out loud when nobody else is
around. Which of following sentences could naturally be used to describe what he
does? Answer "a", "b" or "both".
a. John always talks to himself.
b. John always talks to him.
2. Suppose a woman named Mary pulled a blanket up until it covered her body.
Which of following sentences could naturally be used to describe what Mary
did? Answer "a", "b" or "both".
a. Mary pulled the blanket over her.
b. Mary pulled the blanket over herself.
3. Suppose there are two men, Rupert and Peter. Peter thinks Rupert is a
jerk, but Rupert doesn't care what Peter thinks. Which of following sentences
could naturally be used to describe Rupert's attitude? Answer "a", "b" or
"both".
a. Rupert was not unduly worried about Peter's opinion of himself.
b. Rupert was not unduly worried about Peter's opinion of him.
4. Which of the following would be more plausible in a conversation. Answer
"a","b" or "neither one is plausible".
a. Sandy believes he should finish a book and Kim believes she should
too. Of course, Sandy means he should finish READing one and Kim
means she should finish WRITing one.
b. Sandy believes he should finish a book and Kim believes it too.
Of course, Sandy means he should finish READing one and Kim means
she should finish WRITing one.

1. a. John always talks to himself.
b. John always talks to him.
Answer "a", "b" or "both".

2. a. Mary pulled the blanket over her.
b. Mary pulled the blanket over herself.
Answer "a", "b" or "both".

3. a. Rupert was not unduly worried about Peter's opinion of himself.
b. Rupert was not unduly worried about Peter's opinion of him.
Answer "a", "b" or "both".

4. a. Sandy believes he should finish a book and Kim believes she should
too. Of course, Sandy means he should finish READing one and Kim
means she should finish WRITing one.
b. Sandy believes he should finish a book and Kim believes it too.
Of course, Sandy means he should finish READing one and Kim means
she should finish WRITing one.
Answer "a", "b", or "neither( is plausible)"