8.0231 On Language and Homogeneity (1/10)

Elaine Brennan (EDITORS@BROWNVM.BITNET)
Tue, 4 Oct 1994 00:06:08 EDT

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 8, No. 0231. Tuesday, 4 Oct 1994.

Date: Sun, 2 Oct 1994 09:26:44 -0600 (MDT)
From: Steven Totosy <stotosy@gpu.srv.ualberta.ca>
Subject: Re: 8.0221 Rs: Borges Story; Langauge of Humanist (3/54)

The note about why Dutch and Dutch authors should be read in Dutch raises
an interesting question I have been pointing to for some time now. This
is that North-Americans more often than not speak about Europe as if it
were a homogeneous matter (remember the Euro-centrism debate!). Of
course, in fact Europe was never homogeneous and it is not and more
attention should be paid in our discussions to that, especially in the
constant arguments about literary theory. And true, "marginal" European
cultures such as Dutch or Hungarian could teach us much. Steven Totosy de
Zepetnek, Comparative Literature, University of Alberta