8.0144 Rs: Multimedia Research (3/139)

Elaine Brennan (EDITORS@BROWNVM.BITNET)
Thu, 11 Aug 1994 21:33:22 EDT

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 8, No. 0144. Thursday, 11 Aug 1994.

(1) Date: Mon, 8 Aug 1994 10:48:21 -0400 (EDT) (43 lines)
From: "Hope A. Greenberg" <hag@moose.uvm.edu>
Subject: Re: 8.0134 Future of Multimedia Research? (1/40)

(2) Date: Mon, 08 Aug 1994 09:21:06 -0700 (MST) (15 lines)
From: ocramer@cc.colorado.edu

(3) Date: Tue, 09 Aug 1994 18:58:50 +0100 (GDT) (81 lines)
From: Edoardo Tortarolo <storstor@rs950.cisi.unito.it>

Date: Mon, 8 Aug 1994 10:48:21 -0400 (EDT)
From: "Hope A. Greenberg" <hag@moose.uvm.edu>

> I'd like to hear opinions on the future use of multimedia material in
> research and scholarship, as opposed to teaching. At the moment, we have

> How do you think work on, say, broadsides would be different if the
> scholar could display a large collection of broadsides in an
> essay, instead of the one or two or three we might use in a
> journal article or book?

There are many threads in your message as there are many possibilities in
hypermedia, computing, and interconnectivity. I'll start the ball rolling
by focusing on the question quoted above. Your question highlights what
is, to me, one of the most exciting possibilities of this electronic
realm. It is not feasible (or affordable) to include many images or
examples in a journal or book. Yet most students and scholars would
probably agree that it would be desirable to do so. Hypermedia with its
ability to create multi-layered documents and computers with their large
storage capacity, make the inclusion of many examples or images a simple
reality. This inclusion adds depth and dimension to the subject being
discussed. No longer need we say "Here is such-and-such and here is an
example." Now we can say "here is such-and-such, here is an example, here
is another example, here is a derivative example, here is a conflicting
example, etc."

This is even more useful in a field where providing examples has
traditionally been difficult or where one must rely on the reader's having
a broad and in depth knowledge of the examples, such as music history.
With a multimedia document one need no longer say "Here is such-and-such,
now go out and listen to this entire recording so you can ferret out the
example" which may be a brief passage in a large work. One can simply
provide the excerpted passage.

Hope Greenberg Hope.Greenberg@uvm.edu
Academic Computing "Lonc tans me sui tenu de chanter,
Univ. of Vermont Mes or ai raison de joie mener..."
Burlington, VT 05490 - anon.