8.0106 IPPE Update (1/80)

Elaine Brennan (EDITORS@BROWNVM.BITNET)
Sun, 24 Jul 1994 20:21:43 EDT

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 8, No. 0106. Sunday, 24 Jul 1994.

Date: Wed, 20 Jul 94 20:10:04 +0900
From: phil-preprints-admin@phil-preprints.L.chiba-u.ac.jp
Subject: News from the IPPE (19 Jul 94)

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-`
N e w s f r o m t h e I P P E
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=- 18 July 1994

------------------
Summer renovations
------------------ The International Philosophical Preprint Exchange
staff is taking advantage of the slow summer season to implement some
big changes for the coming academic year. In October, the IPPE will be
opening a World Wide Web (Mosaic) server, making possible hypertext
links between documents on the system. In October we will also be
renovating our Gopher support, in order to provide more friendlier and
more informative menus (Gopher techies may be interested to know that we
will be running our own Gopher server, rather than using Gopher as a
front-end to our ftp server).

The current ftp and mail-server based access to the IPPE will remain
available, although there may be some reorganization to accomodate the
new Web and Gopher services. (Please see the end of this message for
access information.)

----------------------------
More journals coming on line
---------------------------- By September several more journals will
join the roster of those journals and book series making their abstracts
and tables of contents available on the IPPE. We have plenty of space
to accomodate yet more journals, series, and conferences, and we encourage
the staffs of these organizations to contact us.

----------------------------------
IPPE well represented at workshops
---------------------------------- Several members of the IPPE staff
were among the most prominent participants in the workshop on philosophy
and electronic communications at the Canadian Philosophical Association
conference held this past June in Calgary. Present were Carolyn Burke
(administrator), Richard Reiner (coordinator), and Istvan Berkeley, who
was also one of the organizers of the workshop.

Richard Reiner and George Gale of the IPPE staff will also be
participating in the round-table on computer mediated communication at
the joint PSA/SSSS/HSA conference to be held in New Orleans in October.

Submission rates fluctuate, but readership stays high
----------------------------------------------------- The end of the
academic year saw a steep climb in the rate of preprint submissions to
the IPPE. As we move into the summer season, however, submissions have
slowed to a trickle. Usage rates, on the other hand, have remained
relatively constant at approximately one hundred accesses per day (this
does not include usage of the dozens of mirror sites through which the
IPPE collection, in association with Project Gutenberg, is available).
Anyone with a good explanation of these apparently contradictory
phenomena is invited to communicate with the IPPE staff.

----------------
IPPE Usage Study
---------------- A study of the effects on academic communication due
to emerging technologies such as the IPPE is being conducted by Charles
Schwartz, Social Sciences Bibliographer at the Fondren Library, Rice
University, in conjunction with IPPE administrator Carolyn L Burke. We
hope to better understand the emerging changes in the structure of
communication within the philosophical community. Results of this study
will be made available in the new year.

Accessing the International Philosophical Preprint Exchange:
By gopher: "gopher apa.oxy.edu" or "gopher kasey.umkc.edu".
By ftp: "ftp Phil-Preprints.L.Chiba-U.ac.jp", or
"ftp mrcnext.cso.uiuc.edu".
By email: "mail phil-preprints-service@Phil-Preprints.L.Chiba-U.ac.jp".
By www: "http://csmaclab-www.uchicago.edu/philosophyProject/philos.html"

To place a paper or comment on the IPPE: see pub/submissions/README.
If you have questions: send mail to <cburke@nexus.yorku.ca>.