8.0037 Computers and Writing Teleconference (1/165)

Elaine Brennan (EDITORS@BROWNVM.BITNET)
Thu, 26 May 1994 21:26:33 EDT

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 8, No. 0037. Thursday, 26 May 1994.

Date: Thu, 26 May 94 10:33:38 CDT
From: Eric Crump <LCERIC@MIZZOU1>
Subject: Computers & Writing Teleconference (soon!)

.----------------------------------.
|.--------------------------------.|
|| Computers and Writing: ||
|| ||
|| Seeing the Future by ||
|| Knowing Our Past ||
|| ||
|| A Live Satelite Broadcast ||
|| ||
|| Thursday, June 2, 1994 ||
|| 11:00 - 1:00 EDT ||
|`--------------------------------'|
`----------------------------------'

Presented by Ball State University
-=-
Sponsored by Houghton Mifflin Company

*****************************
Scope of the Teleconference
*****************************

The field of computers and writing has continued to develop
during the last two decades, and now we find ourselves teetering
on the brink of a new age--an age where students often have more
experience than instructors using technology.

Join us in an interactive dialogue as we explore the past,
present, and future of computers and writing, further examining
issues raised at the Tenth Computers and Writing Conference:

o How do we redefine ourselves, our classrooms, and our
pedagogy during this time?
o Is there value in teaching students to navigate
the Information Super Highway? _________________________
o What access is fair access? | |
o Will this technology help | Who Should Participate? |
students write better? | |
o Does technology solve | University faculty and |
problems or simply create | staff, administrators, |
new ones? | students, computing |
o Can we adapt old teaching | services personnel, |
strategies in the computer | community college and |
classroom, or do we need to | high school writing |
invent new ones? | instructors |
o Is new software being |_________________________|
designed with writing teachers
in mind?
o How do we humanize the technology we use?

*****************
Program Leaders
*****************

Michael A. Benedict, an English teacher and Department Chair
at Fox Chapel Area High School in Pittsburgh, PA, has
worked developing computer mediated instruction for the
last five years in his classes. Benedict was named the
Christa McAuliffe Fellow by the U.S. Department of Education
in 1988.

Hugh Burns, Ph.D., Director of Educational Software and Technology
at Smith College, is co-founder of the Daedalus Group, Inc.
Burns has served on the advisory boards of NCTE, CCCC, and
_The Journal of Basic Writing_, and has been recognized for
his pioneering work through the creation of the annual Hugh
Burns Outstanding Dissertation Award for the most promising
scholar in educational computing and the liberal arts.

Bill Condon, Ph.D., Associate Director for Instruction in the
University of Michigan's English Composition Board (ECB),
is an active proponent of using computer networks to
support writing across the disciplines and the collaborative
teaching of writing. Condon has also published numerous
articles on portfolio-based writing assessment.

Fred Kemp, Ph.D., Associate Professor of English and Director of
Composition at Texas Tech University, is co-author of the
Daedalus Integrated Writing Environment, and has published
a number of articles on computer-based networked classrooms.
Kemp is also the founder and list owner of several discussion
lists, including MBU-L, WCENTER, and ACW-L, and is a co-founder
and co-director of the Alliance for Computers and Writing.

Cynthia L. Selfe, Ph.D., Professor of Composition and Communication
at Michigan Technological University, has authored five books
and numerous articles on computer use in composition classrooms
and has co-edited several other collections of essays on the
topic. Selfe edits the journal _Computers and Composition_ and
has co-founded Computers and Composition Press with Gail
Hawisher.

.----------------------------------------------.
| Special Offer for Satellite Sites |
|______________________________________________|
| |
| Houghton Mifflin will sponsor 20 selected |
| sites for *free* satellite downlinks. |
| Community Colleges are encouraged to apply. |
| Contact Kristin Peri, c/o Houghton Mifflin |
| Company, 222 Berkeley St., Boston, MA |
| 02116-3764 or E-mail PERI@HMCO.COM |
`----------------------------------------------'

- - - - - - - - - - - (print and cut here) - - - - - - - - - - - - -

************************
Site Registration Form
************************

To register for this live satellite broadcast, please contact
your campus satellite downlink center and fill out this form.
Please return the form via the post office, not via E-mail.

Registration Fee: Because of a generous grant from the Houghton
Mifflin Company, we are able to offer the satellite downlink for
only $100 per site. Payment is required to receive satellite
coordinates.

Name of Institution

Street Address

City State ZIP

Downlink Coordinator Name _____________________________________

Telephone Number ______________________________________________

Fax Number ____________________________________________________

E-mail Address ________________________________________________

Check appropriate box:

[ ] C-Band [ ] Ku-Band [ ] Both

Send Registration Form with Check (Payable to Ball State
University) to:

Department of English
Ball State University
Muncie, IN 47306
Attention: Teleconference Registration
Fax: (317) 285-3765

Questions?
Call Rebecca Rickly at (317) 285-8386 or e-mail to
00rjrickly@bsuvc.bsu.edu