8.0004 Humanities Computing Course Material Archive (1/88)

Elaine Brennan (EDITORS@BROWNVM.BITNET)
Fri, 13 May 1994 21:48:22 EDT

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 8, No. 0004. Friday, 13 May 1994.

Date: Sun, 8 May 1994 18:06:56 -0400 (EDT)
From: mccarty@epas.utoronto.ca (W. McCarty)
Subject: Toronto Archive of Course Materials

John Slatin's discussion of his faculty workshops on computing
(Humanist 8.002), in response to an earlier inquiry, inspires me to
re-advertise an initiative at Toronto to collect and make available
such instructional materials. The Toronto Archive for Course-Materials
in Humanities Computing was officially launched on 4 April, just prior
to the ALLC/ACH conference in Paris, which featured an international
panel on teaching humanities computing. It may be rash to say that the
panel and its gratifyingly vocal audience reached any conclusions, but
as one of the members of the panel, I have. To wit: that we the people
who are involved need to discuss what might be taught and how --
indeed, what the subject is that it should be taught. The motives
behind the Toronto Archive are first to help out beginning
instructors, by supplying them with ready-made materials, and second
to advance this discussion by providing the data. The Archive is still
quite small (only about 15 universities and colleges reporting), but
what is there shows, I think, the value of the project.

So, allow me again to invite submissions, not only of materials
relating to courses, credit or otherwise, but also anything announcing,
describing, documenting, or supplementing workshops, seminars, or
lectures that fit the description attached below. A few submissions
that were sent to me following the previous announcement I have not
included because they were simply about courses in which computers
have been used, rather than courses about computing. The line between
these is fuzzy, and I have a liberal policy for inclusion, but a line
has to be drawn or the focus and usefulness of the Archive will be
lost.

The Archive is visible by gopher, to gopher.epas.utoronto.ca, under
Centre for Computing in the Humanities, Humanities computing
resources. Since some of the materials are not held at Toronto,
anonymous-ftp to ftp.epas.utoronto.ca, /pub/cch/courses/, will not
access everything shown by gopher. We do not yet have a WWW-server,
although we dream of it.

Thanks very much.

Willard McCarty

About toronto archive for course-materials in humanities computing

The Centre for Computing in the Humanities here maintains
an online archive for syllabi and other course-materials in
humanities computing. The objective of the archive is to
collect and publish such materials so as to assist beginning
instructors and to allow a clearer understanding of the field
to develop from the evidence of individual efforts around the world.

The archive is for courses whose major focus is humanities
computing, computing in the liberal arts, or other
interdisciplinary form, including those in computer
science. It is not meant to document all applications
of the computer to academic subjects, e.g. to language
instruction, except if the consequences of using the
computer take a prominent role in the course.

The archive is also intended for descriptions of workshops
in humanities computing, course proposals, essays and
discussions of curricula.

Submissions to the archive are most eagerly invited. They
should be edited and formatted for online display, then
sent by email to Willard McCarty at this address:

mccarty@epas.utoronto.ca

Please note that only materials prepared for online
display can be accepted. This means they have to be
in plain-ASCII (DOS format), with hard returns at the
end of each line, margins set to about 65, and all
accented characters encoded according to a scheme
explained at the beginning. Graphics and software,
suitably compressed and encoded, are welcome, but
anyone with such things should consult with me first.
For materials on a computer accessible by Gopher,
only the Gopher address is needed.

Each file should be clearly identified as to the
instructor, department, course number, and institution.

WM