7.0641 Ideas for Workshop to Interest Humanities Faculty (1/35)

Elaine Brennan (EDITORS@BROWNVM.BITNET)
Thu, 5 May 1994 23:50:36 EDT

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 7, No. 0641. Thursday, 5 May 1994.

Date: Wed, 4 May 1994 14:46:16 -0400 (EDT)
From: dmccaffr@cscsun.rmc.edu (Dan McCaffrey)
Subject: ideas for worshop?

Dear Colleagues,

I would like advice on having a workshop at the start of the school
year to get humanities faculty more interested and active in the
use of computers in their disciplines. Our committee is considering
two possible versions.

The first is to have someone give us a general overview of the
teaching and research projects currently being done, the
applications and facilities presently available for classroom and
research use, etc.

Another approach would be to bring one or two people to present
particular applications (e.g. hypertext or conferencing) which
would be less abstract and would allow more active, hands-on
experience. The particularity of the applications, however, might
limit the relevance of the workshop to certain disciplines. We are
a small undergraduate liberal arts college with small departments,
so we need broad applicability to draw enough people to make a
workshop work.

I would be happy to hear (off-list if that seems best to the
editors) what you think, what you have tried, what has worked, what
has not worked and even who you think might be a good presenter.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Daniel V. McCaffrey
Randolph-Macon College
Ashland, VA 23005