7.0598 Rs: Indexing (2/72)

Elaine Brennan (EDITORS@BROWNVM.BITNET)
Mon, 4 Apr 1994 22:20:06 EDT

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 7, No. 0598. Monday, 4 Apr 1994.

(1) Date: Mon, 4 Apr 1994 9:22:39 -0400 (EDT) (16 lines)
From: WALLACHP@CSUSYS.CTSTATEU.EDU
Subject: RE: 7.0597 Indexing

(2) Date: Mon, 04 Apr 1994 10:18:16 -0400 (EDT) (56 lines)
From: GURT@guvax.acc.georgetown.edu

Date: Mon, 4 Apr 1994 9:22:39 -0400 (EDT)
From: WALLACHP@CSUSYS.CTSTATEU.EDU

The inadequacy of computer indexing, an issue raised by David Hoekema, is
only relevant in relation to automatic indexing programs. If one indexes
as one goes along, or edits the volume, by simply telling a sophisticated
word processor what terms to index, one has the same results as with index
cards, but with far less work.
In Word for Windows (2 or 6) one can build any custom indexes with
subcategories quite easily. I have even added an index button to my tool bar.
As a result I mark a term I want indexed, and click the button. The rest is
automatic. I
can also click the button at a specific spot and then fill in a box as I find
appropriate.
There are separate means for formatting the actual index.