7.0552 Rs: Once, Twice...; Dutch Booksellers (2/86)

Elaine Brennan (EDITORS@BROWNVM.BITNET)
Mon, 7 Mar 1994 23:26:21 EST

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 7, No. 0552. Monday, 7 Mar 1994.

(1) Date: Mon, 7 Mar 94 08:01:56 EST (42 lines)
From: Eric Rabkin <USERGDFD@UMICHUM.BITNET>
Subject: "Once, Twice, Thrice" Again

(2) Date: Mon, 07 Mar 1994 12:02:04 -0500 (EST) (44 lines)
From: Evert Volkersz <XEVOLKERSZ@SBCCMAIL.BITNET>
Subject: Dutch Booksellers

Date: Mon, 7 Mar 94 08:01:56 EST
From: Eric Rabkin <USERGDFD@UMICHUM.BITNET>

A while back I asked the list if anyone knew the name, parallel
to "cardinal numbers" and "ordinal numbers," for the series
"once, twice, thrice," and any further terms in the series. I
thought the list now might be interested to learn that no one has
sent me a precisely parallel, established term. Clarence Brown,
however, says he would propose calling these "iterative numbers."
Martti Nyman notes that they are "adverbia numeralia" in Latin
grammar and so could be called "numeral adverbs" in English,
which is not quite parallel but darned close, IMHO. Joseph Jones
points out that these words are treated twice in _A Comprehensive
Grammar of the English Language_ (1985), in section 5.18 they are
classed as "multipliers" under predeterminers, under
determinatives in a chapter on nouns and determiners, and in
section 8.64 they are classed under occasion frequency but
apparently given no specific name. Paul McNamara points out that
all sets such as "one, two, three," "first, second, third," and
"once, twice, thrice" are technically known as "well ordered
series." Only one person, Joseph, suggested further terms in the
series: "four times, five times, etc."

On the basis of the responses we've had so far, I propose
"adverbial numbers" as the parallel term, although the word
"adverbial" suggests more how the number words are used than how
they are constructed. If anyone cares to send me other
suggestions, I'll collect them, and the reasoning that may
accompany them, and report to the list. I think, like astronomers
who first spot a comet, we have the right to name this heretofore
unnamed phenomenon, the list serving as the International Union.
Many thanks to all.

Eric

Eric Rabkin esrabkin@umich.edu
Department of English esrabkin@umichum.bitnet
University of Michigan office : 313-764-2553
Ann Arbor MI 48109-1045 dept : 313-764-6330
deptl fax : 313-763-3128
voice msgs: 313-763-3130