7.0524 Q: Calvino's Road (1/12)

Elaine Brennan (EDITORS@BROWNVM.BITNET)
Thu, 24 Feb 1994 23:39:08 EST

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 7, No. 0524. Thursday, 24 Feb 1994.

Date: Thu, 24 Feb 1994 17:45:45 -0800 (PST)
From: Paul Pascal <paulpasc@u.washington.edu>
Subject: Calvino text

In the translation recently published by Pantheon Books of Italo Calvino's
*The Road to San Giovanni* the concluding words of the text are, "...a
contrivance at the service of the world for knowing if it exits." I am
almost positive that the last word is a typographical error for "exists,"
but reluctant to conclude absolutely that it is so, since a kind of sense
(a strange kind) can be tortured out of the text as printed. Would someone
with access to the original Italian (*La Strada di San Giovanni*) please
be kind enough to inform me how the text reads there? Many thanks.

Paul Pascal
Classics, University of Washington