7.0512 Q: Academic Schedules (1/33)

Elaine Brennan (EDITORS@BROWNVM.BITNET)
Wed, 23 Feb 1994 22:37:53 EST

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 7, No. 0512. Wednesday, 23 Feb 1994.

Date: Wed, 23 Feb 1994 09:50:00 -0230
From: hans@kean.ucs.mun.ca
Subject: Study Break

SUBJECT: Study Break

I am sending the following message for Prof. Marcella Rollmann.
Would you please reply to her E-Mail address below. Thank
you. Hans Rollmann
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
I am serving on a committee that is trying to find time in our
short Canadian semester to offer the students a few more days of
study time, either at mid-term or between the last day of classes
and the first day of exams. To find out how other universities
manage this, both Canadian and U.S., could you please post how
your Fall 1993 semester looked. WHEN DID YOUR SEMESTER BEGIN AND
END, WHEN DID EXAMS BEGIN AND END, AND WAS THERE A STUDY BREAK?
Our lectures began September 7 and ended Friday, December 3 with
exams beginning Monday December 6 and ending December 15. The
only study break was the so-called mid-term break, which since we
couple it with a holiday to make it longer does not really occur
at mid-term but later. This break meant no lectures on November
10, 11, and 12. If you have the exact dates for Fall 1994 that
would be helpful too.

One reason our semester is so cramped is that we offer three full
semesters: Fall (Sept.-Dec.), Winter (Jan. - April), and Spring
(May - August). A different design with two longer semesters and
a shorter summer session might be better. Does anyone have any
experience with this?

Thanks for all input. Please answer to my e-mail address below.

Marcella Rollmann/Dept. of German/Memorial University of
Newfoundland/marcella@morgan.ucs.mun.ca