7.0460 Qs: Quotation; French Study Abroad (3/56)

Elaine Brennan (EDITORS@BROWNVM.BITNET)
Wed, 2 Feb 1994 18:46:30 EST

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 7, No. 0460. Wednesday, 2 Feb 1994.

(1) Date: 1 Feb 1994 16:34:36 EST (19 lines)
From: "David R. Chesnutt" <Chesnutt@hsscls.hssc.scarolina.edu>
Subject: Quotation

(2) Date: 1 Feb 94 17:12:14 EDT (25 lines)
From: "David A. Hoekema" <DHOEKEMA@legacy.Calvin.EDU>
Subject: Query on French study abroad

(3) Date: 1 Feb 94 17:14:01 EDT (12 lines)
From: "David A. Hoekema" <DHOEKEMA@legacy.Calvin.EDU>
Subject: Addendum

Date: 1 Feb 1994 16:34:36 EST
From: "David R. Chesnutt" <Chesnutt@hsscls.hssc.scarolina.edu>

Can anyone identify this quotation:

"A virtuous woman is never solicitous to resound her chastity,
although she feels a proper degree of resentment at being called
a Whore, even by implication."

Henry Laurens, a leader in the American Revolution, used the quote at the
beginning of a letter he published in the Pennsylvania Packet, Oct. 3, 1778.

David Chesnutt/U. South Carolina
email: CHESNUTT@HSSCLS.HSSC.SCAROLINA.EDU