7.0397 Advertising on Humanist (1/27)

Elaine Brennan (EDITORS@BROWNVM.BITNET)
Wed, 12 Jan 1994 18:01:06 EST

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 7, No. 0397. Wednesday, 12 Jan 1994.

Date: 11 Jan 94 08:38:37 EST
From: Malcolm.Brown@Dartmouth.EDU (Malcolm Brown)
Subject: "Advertising is here to stay"?!!?

Anyone else bothered by the posting of the "internet business journal"? As
Humanist fallen to this?

First, it's a bad sign when the sender is an organization, in this case,
"mstrange@fonorola.net (Strangelove Press)".
I think the posting's ostensible discussion of "how to advertise" on the
internet is merely a smokescreen for their advertising their own undertaking.

Second, I really don't see how their discussion is relevant to the Humanist
list.

Third, the positing is alive with propositions that are simply silly. They
seem to think that advertising can escape being junk mail, that if it's
"clever and creative" it's somehow OK and elevates it above mere junk mail.
Junk mail is in the eye of the receiver! Anything arriving unsolicited is
junk; I receive electronic mailings that, while not advertising, are, in my
opinion, so devoid of worthwhile content that they fall into my category of
junk mail.

If anyone compares this posting with Willard's recent note on Moses, then I
think you'll see a dramatic contrast. One is junk, the other isn't.

I'm annoyed.
Grrrr.
Malcolm