7.0237 Philosophical Preprint Exchange (1/46)

Elaine Brennan (EDITORS@BROWNVM.BITNET)
Mon, 18 Oct 1993 09:44:00 EDT

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 7, No. 0237. Monday, 18 Oct 1993.

Date: Wed, 6 Oct 1993 23:10:30 -0400
From: rreiner@nexus.yorku.ca (Richard Reiner)
Subject: IPPE one-month status report

Since our opening (one month ago this week), the International
Philosophical Preprint Exchange has handled a total of 3131 requests for
the working papers and other documents available on the system. These
requests came from a total of 845 distinct users, in dozens of
countries. We find this level of usage very encouraging, and we thank
all of those who have supported our fledgling effort.

We have plenty of room for growth, and we encourage all to browse the
papers available on the IPPE, and to submit their own working papers for
instant, free distribution to colleagues worldwide.

To get started using the IPPE, try the command "gopher apa.oxy.edu" on
your host computer. If that doesn't work (presumably because your host
system doesn't yet have Gopher software--ask your system adminstrator to
install it!), send a piece of email containing the following four lines:

begin
send getting-started
send INDEX
end

to the address phil-preprints-service@phil-preprints.l.chiba-u.ac.jp,
and a beginner's guide will be sent to you by email.

We are now in the process of preparing a short document explaining how
to place a working paper on the International Philosophical Preprint
Exchange, and explaining other factors relevant to submitting a paper
(that copyright remains with the author,that the paper remains
publishable, etc.). This guide is not yet ready, but we strongly
encourage submissions. Please contact me by email at the address
rreiner@nexus.yorku.ca if you have a paper you'd like to make available
through the International Philosophical Preprint Exchange, and I or one
of our volunteers will be happy to guide you through the submission
process.

Richard Reiner, Coordinator
International Philosophical Preprint Exchange

--
Richard Reiner..............rreiner@nexus.yorku.ca..............416-538-3947

Litigant, n.  A person about to give up his skin for the hope of retaining
    his bones.
                -- Ambrose Bierce, The Devil's Dictionary