7.0146 Rs: Tech Training for Grad Students (2/67)

Elaine Brennan (EDITORS@BROWNVM.BITNET)
Wed, 1 Sep 1993 10:56:10 EDT

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 7, No. 0146. Wednesday, 1 Sep 1993.

(1) Date: Mon, 30 Aug 1993 20:37:50 -0400 (EDT) (31 lines)
From: POOS@CUA.BITNET
Subject: Re: 7.0145 Qs: Marot; Near-Death; Tech Training

(2) Date: Tue, 31 Aug 1993 12:57:19 -0600 (MDT) (36 lines)
From: BushC@yvax.byu.edu (Chuck Bush)

Date: Mon, 30 Aug 1993 20:37:50 -0400 (EDT)
From: POOS@CUA.BITNET
Subject: Re: 7.0145 Qs: Marot; Near-Death; Tech Training (3/40)

In answer to the question posted by Alan Fisher, about universities
that offer/require training in the use of technology for graduate
students in humanities:-
At Catholic University, the History Department has required such a
course for its graduate students in history for five years. I
teach it. It is a one-semester course, aimed to give basic
experience in the major applications of computer technology to
historical research. That means: basic introduction to some
statistical methods, using MINITAB; introduction to database
management and machine-readable text analysis; some grounding
in e-mail, discussion lists, on-line bibliographical searching,
and a smattering of graphics. Emphasis is on practicalities,
i.e. how to conceive and set up simple machine-based research
projects (everyone, for instance, has to complete a modest-size
database project using some information drawn from whatever
subdisipline of history s/he is in), and on reading recent
periodical literature using similar methods.

This is in a constant state of evolution, so I would be extremely
interested in hearing (privately, if you like) the experiences of
anyone else doing similar courses. I, too, would like to know the
state of play in other universities.

Larry Poos
Dept of History
Catholic University