7.0141 Further Rs: Liberal Arts' Computing Resources (2/70)

Elaine Brennan (EDITORS@BROWNVM.BITNET)
Wed, 25 Aug 1993 21:47:29 EDT

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 7, No. 0141. Wednesday, 25 Aug 1993.

(1) Date: Tue, 24 Aug 93 21:54:28 EDT (23 lines)
From: John Rakestraw <JRAKESTR@UGA>
Subject: Re: 7.0129 Computing Resources at Liberal Arts Colleges

(2) Date: Wed, 25 Aug 1993 08:34:04 -0400 (EDT) (47 lines)
From: Jacquelyn Smith <JSMITH@DREW.DREW.EDU>
Subject: Re:Willard's computing survey

Date: Tue, 24 Aug 93 21:54:28 EDT
From: John Rakestraw <JRAKESTR@UGA>

I teach at Wesleyan College, a small liberal arts college for women in Macon,
Georgia. Since 1989 the college has provided each entering student her own
computer. Students don't see a bill for their computers, just as they don't
see a bill for professors' salaries or library purchases. (Of course, students
pay tuition, and so are paying at least part of the cost of the machines.)
Faculty plan and teach courses knowing that each student has immediate access
to a machine; most courses require computer use. Students who stay until
graduation take their machines with them when they graduate.
We are now in process of installing a campus-wide network. We're doing it in
stages, and I'm told we have some hope of having network connections in
almost all faculty offices, and perhaps the rooms in one of the student
residence halls, before the end of this academic year.

John Rakestraw
Philosophy and Religious Studies
Wesleyan College
Macon, GA 31297