7.0138 CFP: Teaching and Language Corpora '94 (1/96)

Elaine Brennan (EDITORS@BROWNVM.BITNET)
Tue, 24 Aug 1993 18:22:10 EDT

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 7, No. 0138. Tuesday, 24 Aug 1993.

Date: Tue, 24 Aug 93 17:06:38 +0200
From: ide@grtc.cnrs-mrs.fr (Nancy Ide)
Subject: [eia002@cent1.lancs.ac.uk: TALC94 Call for papers]

From: Steve Fligelstone <eia002@cent1.lancs.ac.uk>
Subject: TALC94 Call for papers

CALL FOR PAPERS

TEACHING AND LANGUAGE CORPORA 94

Lancaster University 11 - 13th April 1994

AIMS OF THE CONFERENCE

While the use of computer text corpora in research is well
established, they are now being used increasingly for teaching
purposes. This includes the use of corpus data to inform and
create teaching materials; it also includes the direct
exploration of corpora by students, both in the study of
linguistics and in the study of foreign languages. We
would like to bring together researchers and teachers who
are involved in such work in order to encourage an international
exchange of experience and expertise. We intend to keep costs
to a minimum, and hope to be able to charge attendees no more
than #{Sterling}50 a day, including accommodation and food.

Papers are invited on the following topics:

* the uses of corpora in the teaching of linguistics
* the uses of corpora in the teaching of foreign languages
* software for the use of corpora in teaching
* corpus annotation
* issues concerning funding and resourcing
* availability of corpora
* necessary skills (teacher and learner) for exploiting corpora
* applications of spoken corpora
* computational linguistics

By "corpora" we mean:

* corpora of written and spoken language
* multi-lingual (e.g. parallel or translation) corpora

FORMAT FOR SUBMISSION

The conference will be composed of oral and poster presentations,
as well as some discussion groups. A paper should last for 30
minutes including questions, and a poster presentation may consist
of up to eight sheets of A3, including the title page. If you
wish to offer a presentation of either kind, please submit an
abstract by no later than 30th September 1993. Abstracts should
be no more than 300 words long. It would also help us if you would
complete the attached reply form and return it as soon as possible.

All papers accepted for the conference will be reviewed and
considered for the conference proceedings, which we intend to
publish. Any papers selected for publication should then be
submitted in machine-readable form, either ASCII or word-
processor (preferably Word or WordPerfect).

Email submission of abstracts are encouraged.

ADDRESS FOR SUBMISSIONS

Surface Mail:

TALC 94,
Department of Linguistics,
Lancaster University,
Bailrigg,
Lancaster,
LA1 4YT,
U.K.

E-mail:
talc94@uk.ac.lancaster

REPLY FORM

* Name:

* Address:

* I shall/shall not be attending the TALC94 Conference

* I would like to present a paper, with the following
(provisional) title:

* I would like to display a poster presentation with the
following (provisional) title: