7.0092 S/W: Parser Generator System; Quattro Pro (2/65)

Elaine Brennan (EDITORS@BROWNVM.BITNET)
Wed, 14 Jul 1993 21:19:21 EDT

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 7, No. 0092. Wednesday, 14 Jul 1993.

(1) Date: Mon, 28 Jun 93 17:20:44 CDT (28 lines)
From: "Richard L. Goerwitz" <goer@MIDWAY.UCHICAGO.EDU>
Subject: parser generator system for Humanists

(2) Date: Wed, 14 Jul 1993 02:31:55 -0600 (CST) (37 lines)
From: RICHARD JENSEN <CAMPBELLD@APSU.BITNET>
Subject: a plug for Quattro Pro

Date: Mon, 28 Jun 93 17:20:44 CDT
From: "Richard L. Goerwitz" <goer@MIDWAY.UCHICAGO.EDU>

I've written a so-called parser generator for Humanists, based on
the Icon programming language. Unlike most such tools, it is accom-
panied by documentation that requires no special experience in auto-
maton or parsing theory. All it requires is familiarity with Icon
and a basic understanding of what it means to parse something.

The parser generator is in late beta testing stages, and I'm inter-
ested in input from a broader audience.

Anyone wanting a copy, please contact me. Please specify a format
for mailing (e.g. tar/uuencoded, shell archived, etc.). If your sys-
tem chokes on mail files over a certain size, note this. Also, make
sure, before requesting the package, that the system it is to be used
on has a full Icon installation. Learning to utilize a parser gen-
erator - even one geared for Humanists - takes a little dedication,
and it would be nuts to try to dedicate oneself to a task for which
essential tools were lacking!

Regards,

Richard Goerwitz
goer@midway.uchicago.edu