7.0081 Bryn Mawr Medieval Review (1/108)

Elaine Brennan (EDITORS@BROWNVM.BITNET)
Tue, 6 Jul 1993 19:43:51 EDT

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 7, No. 0081. Tuesday, 6 Jul 1993.

Date: Thu, 1 Jul 1993 17:20:32 +22305606 (EST)
From: jod@ccat.sas.upenn.edu (James O'Donnell)
Subject: Announcing Bryn Mawr Medieval Review

BRYN MAWR MEDIEVAL REVIEW
(BMMR)

EDITORS

Eugene Vance James J. O'Donnell
Romance Literature GN-60 Classical Studies
University of Washington University of Pennsylvania
Seattle WA 98195 Philadelphia PA 19104-6305
vance@u.washington.edu jod@ccat.sas.upenn.edu

Managing Editor

Paul Remley
Department of English GN-30
University of Washington
Seattle WA 98195
bmmr@u.washington.edu

We are proud to announce that Bryn Mawr Medieval Review, a
sister publication of Bryn Mawr Classical Review (BMCR), is now
ready to receive subscription requests. Instructions below.

BMMR will publish timely reviews of current work in all
areas of medieval studies, a field it will interpret as broadly
as possible (chronologically, geographically, culturally, etc.).
We are eager to develop a large and diverse stable of reviewers
and to offer broad coverage of interesting current work from all
over the world. To that end, we will be assisted by a
distinguished editorial advisory board, who will themselves
review for us and help us find additional reviewers; but
expressions of interest from potential reviewers and of course
from authors and publishers wishing to submit review copies will
be welcomed by any of the editors listed above.

There will be no paper BMMR. Reviews will ship serially as
they are ready. Once a month, a "masthead" file will remind
readers of the makeup of the editorial staff and contain concise
instructions for subscribing, unsubscribing, back issues, and the
like. (Back issues will be available by ftp and gopher [with
WAIS indexing to facilitate searching] through the University of
Virginia's library e-text service, as is already the case for
BMCR.) There will also be a "Books Received" file shipped
monthly, with notes by books still unplaced for review -- to
encourage qualified readers to volunteer.

"Classical" and "Medieval" are not exclusive categories, and
so some reviews in appropriate topics will be shipped to both
BMCR and BMMR. To subscribe to both without duplication, readers
will wish to enroll in the separate listserv for BMR-L (Bryn Mawr
Reviews). The model used by BMCR and BMMR may well soon be
extended further to other fields, and there will always be a BMR
listing to allow subscription to all the sister publications at
once, as well as individual subscriptions by sub-field.

There will also be opportunity for author's replies,
discussion of earlier reviews, and well-conceived columns of
opinion on the current medieval scholarly scene. At the editors'
discretion, other informational material (e.g., conference
announcements) may also be included.

We are happy to report that the following scholars have
joined our ranks at the outset, to advise and guide us.

Patrick Geary, late of U. of Florida, now of UCLA
(History)
Stephen Jaeger, U. of Washington
(Germanics)
Herbert Kessler, Johns Hopkins
(Art History)
Seth Lerer, Stanford
(English)
Keven Kiernan, U. of Kentucky
(English)
Alistair Minnis, York University
(Medieval Studies)
Stephen G. Nichols, Johns Hopkins
(French)
Michael Solomon, Emory
(Spanish)
Robert Stacey, U. of Washington
(History)

We expect that others will join our board shortly.

TO SUBSCRIBE to BMMR alone:

Send mail message to listserv@cc.brynmawr.edu with
nothing on the subject line and the single message
line: SUBSCRIBE BMMR-L Your Name

TO SUBSCRIBE TO BMMR *and* BMCR (new subscribers):

Send mail message to listserv@cc.brynmawr.edu with
nothing on the subject line and the single message
line: SUBSCRIBE BMR-L Your Name

SPECIAL FOR current BMCR SUBSCRIBERS:

If you wish to subscribe to both, go ahead and send
the message to listserv@cc.brynmawr.edu for BMR-L just
described, but add a second line UNSUB BMCR-L. If you
are told you can't unsubscribe, please refer the error
message to jod@ccat.sas.upenn.edu -- this will happen
most often to people who subscribed to BMCR some time
ago from Bitnet addresses.