6.0715 Rs: Gopher and Copyright and Variant Texts (2/79)

Elaine Brennan (EDITORS@BROWNVM.BITNET)
Fri, 7 May 1993 17:57:40 EDT

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 6, No. 0715. Friday, 7 May 1993.

(1) Date: Fri, 7 May 1993 09:59:32 -0500 (37 lines)
From: kbarger@ACC.HAVERFORD.EDU (Kyle Barger)
Subject: Re: 6.0711 R: Gopher and Copyright (1/48)

(2) Date: Fri, 07 May 93 10:33:22 CDT (42 lines)
From: "C. M. Sperberg-McQueen" <U35395@UICVM>
Subject: Gopher and variant texts

Date: Fri, 7 May 1993 09:59:32 -0500
From: kbarger@ACC.HAVERFORD.EDU (Kyle Barger)

In the Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 6, No. 0711. Thursday, 6 May 1993,
Donald A Spaeth <GKHA13@CMS.GLASGOW.AC.UK> writes:

>As a reader, I don't like the thought that there might be many versions
>of the same text, each with subtle differences. This means I spend far
>more time navigating through menus, where many of the choices may be
>(virtually) the same thing. And how do I choose? I need a validated
>base text (or base dataset), both for my own use as a scholar and
>for citation purposes. I can imagine spending hours downloading
>versions and deciding which one I should use. If this is the future
>of Gopher, then no reputable scholar will use it.

But surely you face the same problem with printed texts. How many editions
are there of, for instance, a given Shakespeare play? How do you choose
between them? The answer is, for the most part, you don't. Certain
editions have become accepted for scholarly work due to a number of
factors--who edited the edition, what source materials were used, etc. etc.
Depending on what work is involved, you might need to choose between a
small handful of scholarly editions, but you're unlikely to consider EVERY
edition currently available. Shakespeare scholars don't (I presume, not
being any kind of literary scholar) check out each new mass market printing
of _Macbeth_ to see if it's any good.

The same thing needs to happen in the electronic arena (and will, I think,
naturally). Certain versions of a given text will become standard in the
academic community based on similar factors. People who do not know or
care about such distinctions will get whatever version comes to hand, while
scholars will have learned, through experience and recommendations from
colleagues, which editions can be trusted for their purposes.
--
Kyle Barger                         Haverford College Academic Computing
kbarger@haverford.edu